• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss 8.5kw shower wires in 4mm, burnt terminals in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

robo83

-
Reaction score
Just arrived at a job, 45amp shower isolator completely burnt out.

Checked cable and it's 4mm tne in trunking to 8.5kw triton riba shower on a 32amp mcb. Cable run is 5meters.

This was a new circuit installed only a few months ago. I expect loose connection on isolator causing burnt terminals.

I am going to request cable uprated to 6mm, anyone else make any sense why a 4mm was used?

That's all he had in the Van, or quite obviously he has miscalculated.

Last edited:
Ah sid it I'll stick some 4mm2 in, it'll be OK til it burns out, I'll be long gone by then, or something to that effect, or he's aDilbert.

He put the 4.0mm on a 32 amp mcb,it was supplying a 7KW unit, its since been changed for the 8.5KW by the user:)

Fantasy thinking I suppose but it often happens,think of 6.0mm and the purchases of the monster energy guzzlers by the ladies swooning over their size in B+Q

He put the 4.0mm on a 32 amp mcb,it was supplying a 7KW unit, its since been changed for the 8.5KW by the user:)

Fantasy thinking I suppose but it often happens,think of 6.0mm and the purchases of the monster energy guzzlers by the ladies swooning over their size in B+Q
Deleted

Just spoke to landlord.

Landlord purchased shower first and informed her other electrican what she had purchased, he then went and installed supply.

I've told llthe landlord to get other electrican to call me if he has any issues returning to sort, also when I undid the isolator Fascia the cables just fell out the back.

I checked over the board before I disconnected the supply and some of the terminals were LOOSE :/

but was not undersized for the 7kW shower, and was suitably protected with a 32A MCB. a bit like the chandelier i just repaired for a customer. 105VA transformer supplying 10 x 10w G4 lamps. he'd fitted 10 x 20w G4s and wondered why the transformer failed.

The landlord said they told the electrican what shower they were getting. And the sparks installed it with the cable, he must have known it was 8.5kw.

The landlord said they told the electrican what shower they were getting. And the sparks installed it with the cable, he must have known it was 8.5kw.
even so, the 4mm would have handled that 8.5kW. it's down to poor terminations.

Reply to 8.5kw shower wires in 4mm, burnt terminals in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back