Discuss 80 amp rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it is an RCCB it will only trip on residual current, not overload.
If it is an RCBO it incorporates both residual current and overload protection.

So if it was a main switch am i needing a 100 amp rccb as the main fuse is 100amp or would after diversity being taken into account and is below 80 amp satisfy this or would i need a rccb off 100amp or a rcbo

Randall I have to ask what is your level of experience, because without causing offence this is pretty basic stuff which a qualified Electrician should know the answer to.

Main switches and rcd' do not offer any form of over current protection, take a split load consumer unit, two rcd's and a main switch.

the main DNO fuse protects the meter tails connected into the main switch, which is usually rated at 100A on the switch, strictly speaking you can't damage a main switch I suppose as the DNO fuse wold probably blow first at a guess.

its all down to being sensible and not overloading the RCD or main switch etc.

The reason i ask is i have seen alot of 63amp rcds with several circuits eg 40 amp shower ,32amp ring, lighting circuit, which could be more than the 63amps. So surely its should be higher.

I have also seen 100amp main switches trip under fault conditions?

I know they don't offer overcurrect protec but i have seen them trip specially main switches

The reason i ask is i have seen alot of 63amp rcds with several circuits eg 40 amp shower ,32amp ring, lighting circuit, which could be more than the 63amps. So surely its should be higher.

I have also seen 100amp main switches trip under fault conditions?
no you haven't.
I know they don't offer overcurrent protec but i have seen them trip specially main switches

Randall I have to ask what is your level of experience, because without causing offence this is pretty basic stuff which a qualified Electrician should know the answer to.

A few years out of being at collage for 3 years, but its always worth asking things as the question may be know but there are always some unawnsered reasons for things that happen, theres alot of contradictions from one electrician i have met to another and even experienced ones, this is proven on this site too.

Kurtis a main switch is purely a means of isolation they do not and cannot trip.

A few years out of being at collage for 3 years, but its always worth asking things as the question may be know but there are always some unawnsered reasons for things that happen, theres alot of contradictions from one electrician i have met to another and even experienced ones, this is proven on this site too.

So are you employed or self employed, I am not trying to trip you up just trying to establish if you are under someones wing or out there on your own trying to learn as you go.

I understand that theres things that exsperienced sparkys know but sometimes obvious things get asked, which make someone look like they don't know ,yet sometimes theres a reason, for instance, my rcd testing question. Yet their was alot of people agreeing and alot completely disagreeing , so very contradictory awsnsers from all you long time sparkeys.

Ive had a main switch trip when theres being a fault (loose terminal which melted the neutral solid bar to t neutral terminals at the top.
Customer said they tried putting it on but every time they did it made a noise and the main switch went.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that theres things that exsperienced sparkys know but sometimes obvious things get asked, which make someone look like they don't know ,yet sometimes theres a reason, for instance, my rcd testing question. Yet their was alot of people agreeing and alot completely disagreeing , so very contradictory awsnsers from all you long time sparkeys.

Ive had a main switch trip when theres being a fault (loose terminal which melted the neutral solid bar to t neutral terminals at the top.
Customer said they tried putting it on but every time they did it made a noise and the main switch went.

A main switch like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 54

Reply to 80 amp rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net