Discuss 80amp cut out, 63amp main switch.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently carried out an EICR on a two up two down terrace. The cut out out has a sticker on it saying 80 amp. The main switch of the consumer unit is rated at 63 amp.

Cleared all the C2 faults but stuck with this.

No - I didn't break the seals to check!

I did, however, phone the DNO, who offered to 'pay a complimentary visit to check the condition of the service head', but I get the impression that they may not change the fuse to 60amp (not their fault consumer unit switch is 63amp).

It's all a bit daft. The load on the house is tiny. No electric shower, no electric oven - just lights and sockets.

Seems stupid to uprate the main switch - and there is no isolator either....

See what happens when they visit - but I just wanted to close this job out.

I suspect others have had similar situations - I wonder how this is going to pan out?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Kind of what I thought. Thanks for the reassurances.

I use I-Certify software and it flagged it up when I just typed in the 80amp/63amp.

I was going to hold on to the EICR - but it sounds like I am being over cautious.

I think they are paying a visit on the 1st Feb....

How do you know the one in the CU is 63A, the rating plate which fits over the test button is missing. This plate also indicates the purpose of the button.

From the Part No on the cover the rcd does belong in there, the give away being the 63A rating on the cover label as a non rcd board would state 60A. You don't actually know if it is 30ma, it could be a dodgy 100ma tripping below its rating:D

Possibly. Not sure I can tell from 8 chuffing miles away!

Someone is going to have to re-visit...

Chuffing, my old mate from Maltby used to say that all the time, as well as other things:eek:,worked with him for 24 years then he passed away suddenly last year, the post just made me think of poor old Frank.

Chuffing, my old mate from Maltby used to say that all the time, as well as other things:eek:,worked with him for 24 years then he passed away suddenly last year, the post just made me think of poor old Frank.
RIP Frank...........even if you were a yorky.

Things that are certain, it is highly unlikely a six way Wylex standard board came fitted with an isolator rated less than 60/63A. Assuming the cover fitted is the correct cover then it should be 63A and you should be able to check the originality of the rcd by checking the outgoing terminals as Wylex often dabbed white paint on them. As for the 30ma, who knows.

From the Part No on the cover the rcd does belong in there, the give away being the 63A rating on the cover label as a non rcd board would state 60A. You don't actually know if it is 30ma, it could be a dodgy 100ma tripping below its rating:D

That’s top drawer helpful information.
Thankyou.

I guess it will have to be 63 amp and ‘not verified’ for the tripping current.

Reply to 80amp cut out, 63amp main switch.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net