Discuss 85 degree thermostat for imersion heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

from that link all i cna find is:

Without Cutout

Only suitable if you have secondary protection

• Temp Range: - 10°C - 80°C

what does this mean by secondary protection?

Last edited by a moderator:
Becuase 70 is too low to fill my bath up right, i need to have boiler on for an hour put 4minutes of hot in, have it on for another hour out 1min of cold in 3 min of hot then it is hot and full ish!, so it is much easier not to use thermostat at all, but then not good if i forget to turn off so 85 degree thermostat should be fine and i will get a timer also. An Electrician/plumber has hard a time believing this in the past but what can i say this is my real experience, maybe my hot water tank/boiler is too small for the size of my bath, or it is filled half with sand or something.

But i dont use hot water for anything else so there is no safety issue and 85 degree thermostat is safer than none at all.

So please if you can help me find one then great, otherwise dont worry about it!

So please if you can help me find one then great, otherwise dont worry about it!

Strange attitude to have when asking for help here, mayby if you look yourself first and then ask if the one you have found would work, you might get a bit more help

Where in the hot water cylinder is the immersion heater positioned? ie, top face, side near top, side near bottom? If in the top face, you might get a better result by checking that the immersion heater and thermostat are long enough to reach towards the bottom of the cylinder and are heating the bulk of the water, rather than just the top few inches.

Could be this is part of the problem, the heater enters in the top, and the thermostat is 11inchs and the boiler is about 32inch high. Idk how long the immersion heater is, not sure i want to start doing that myself.

The thermostat pocket will likely be a similar length to the heater. If it's short, you'll be better off fitting a longer heater and stat, rather than heating the water to scalding levels.

the immersion heater element is too short
buy the correct lenghth immersion heater and stat it must be long enough to reach the bottom of the cylinder
get a plummer to install it as u have to turn the water to the cylinder off and the correct spanner to undo the old one ect
get a proper spark to disconnect the old immersion and reconnect the new one

sighned-big spark crying

Reply to 85 degree thermostat for imersion heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net