Discuss 8kw Shower.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

Welshsparky

Got a customer that doesnt want a 6mm shower cable upgraded to 10mm but rather downgrade her shower to 8kw

Anybody know were to find a decent not to price 8kw shower?

You can use 6mm cable on a 8.5kW shower if the cable is direct clip with no installation.

Otherwise try the ones above

Personally anything above 8.5kW I try and push them to upgrade their cable

As long as the OCPD is correctly rated for the cable, then I think you could get away with a 8.5kw as they are highly unlikely to use the higher temperature settings unless they like to scold themselves.

What's the cable run and cable condition? Depending on the distance and installation method then a 9.5kw could be run from it. Providing it's on a 40A mcb.

What is the installation method of the existing cable?
And its approx length?

These are the first questions to answer when assessing the adequacy of a circuit.

If it's not installation method C, then can you change it to C? for example by lifting the cable out of insulation where it runs through the loft?

If the supply cable goes through the loft at all i personaly wouldn't fit any shower above 8.5kw on a 6mm at all (even then it could be very tight depending on cable length.

My main reason for this stance these days is because i've been in that many lofts in the last few months which have had extra insulation installed (due to government schemes for free insulation) that gets thrown over all cable's and joists (so you cant see the joist just have to feel for them) that a cable close to the limit will soon be unsuitable through external influences. Not our problem some will say but if it all melts/catches fire who the first person they're gonna blame?....muggin 'ere and i could do without that hassle tbh.

If the supply cable goes through the loft at all i personaly wouldn't fit any shower above 8.5kw on a 6mm at all (even then it could be very tight depending on cable length.

My main reason for this stance these days is because i've been in that many lofts in the last few months which have had extra insulation installed (due to government schemes for free insulation) that gets thrown over all cable's and joists (so you cant see the joist just have to feel for them) that a cable close to the limit will soon be unsuitable through external influences. Not our problem some will say but if it all melts/catches fire who the first person they're gonna blame?....muggin 'ere and i could do without that hassle tbh.

Very good point............

Cheers...........Howard

has length really got anything to do with this question. as volt drop and zs is only factors to do with length.

but please teach me something if it works.

What is the installation method of the existing cable?
And its approx length?

These are the first questions to answer when assessing the adequacy of a circuit.

If it's not installation method C, then can you change it to C? for example by lifting the cable out of insulation where it runs through the loft?

As long as the OCPD is correctly rated for the cable, then I think you could get away with a 8.5kw as they are highly unlikely to use the higher temperature settings unless they like to scold themselves.

Unless it's a really hot summer, I don't know of anyone who uses the "low" setting on an electric shower. Remember, fixed output, variable flow :)

has length really got anything to do with this question. as volt drop and zs is only factors to do with length.

but please teach me something if it works.

You Kind of answered your own question, if length is too long for the given size and loading of the cable then volts drop may not comply with reg's

Just suppose you did a rewire, you did all the calcs and derated the cable accordingly and have the paperwork to prove it.Everything is fine and tests out perfectly so you cert it, money changes hands and everyone is happy.
Then some muppet comes along and dumps 200 mm of tickly wool all over it which causes the cable to heat up and eventually starts a fire.
Who is going to be held responsible? Certainly not you imho, you have done your job correctly and can prove it. What I think the problem is is that companys have sprung up out of nowhere supplying insulation all paid for by the government. If they are not aware of the effect of their product or are unable/unwilling to train their monkeys oops sorry I meant installers then it's their look out not ours.

I agree trev but with hind-sight now all buildings that dont have loft insulation are slowly been upgraded and all new have it, if you wire through the loft you should be designing with the propect of loft insulation been fitted at some future point, i just did one and kept the cable above and where it passes down i fixed a 2"/2" trunking so any depth insulation would be kept off it.

if insulation was done properly, there would be no need to derate cables whatever. insulation should be installed at the perimeters of the building, not internally. in other words, under the roof. not on the loft floor. we pay council rates on lofts, so why on earth make them unusable. will the council reduce the rates by 25% due to the loss of 25% of the home.? will they bugger.

thats ok in general but the CCC of the cable drastically reduces if its in insulation so unless you do the maths first be carefull

I think we are missing a point here years ago it was 7kw and that was your lot since then its 8, 8.5, 9,9.5, 10, 10.5, 11kw and we are all trying to squeeze 10mm cables into a 45A pull cord
so what next 15kw and 16mm ? the thing is electric showers in my view are absolutly useless plus people are shocked because they go abroad or to a hotel in this country that has a pumped system then comes home and thinks if I upgrade my shower then I will get that , well no you aint and when I get asked what electric shower do you have in your house I reply I will never put one in my house I have an immersion tank with a shower pump.

I agree trev but with hind-sight now all buildings that dont have loft insulation are slowly been upgraded and all new have it, if you wire through the loft you should be designing with the propect of loft insulation been fitted at some future point, i just did one and kept the cable above and where it passes down i fixed a 2"/2" trunking so any depth insulation would be kept off it.

I always bring conduit 6" into a loft so that insulation is kept off the cable. So much safer and easier to work with.

Reply to 8kw Shower.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock