Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss 8kw Shower.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Welshsparky

Welshsparky Guest

Got a customer that doesnt want a 6mm shower cable upgraded to 10mm but rather downgrade her shower to 8kw

Anybody know were to find a decent not to price 8kw shower?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    B&Q, screwfix. cpcfarnell. ebay.

3. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

4. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

8.5 is dead on too... try local calassifieds

5. Spazz

Spazz Guest

You can use 6mm cable on a 8.5kW shower if the cable is direct clip with no installation.

Otherwise try the ones above

Personally anything above 8.5kW I try and push them to upgrade their cable

6. Plonker 3

Plonker 3 Guest

As long as the OCPD is correctly rated for the cable, then I think you could get away with a 8.5kw as they are highly unlikely to use the higher temperature settings unless they like to scold themselves.

7. electromonkey

electromonkey Electrician's Arms

What's the cable run and cable condition? Depending on the distance and installation method then a 9.5kw could be run from it. Providing it's on a 40A mcb.

8. PC Electrics

PC Electrics Guest

What is the installation method of the existing cable?
    And its approx length?

These are the first questions to answer when assessing the adequacy of a circuit.

If it's not installation method C, then can you change it to C? for example by lifting the cable out of insulation where it runs through the loft?

9. Swicade

Swicade Guest

If the supply cable goes through the loft at all i personaly wouldn't fit any shower above 8.5kw on a 6mm at all (even then it could be very tight depending on cable length.

My main reason for this stance these days is because i've been in that many lofts in the last few months which have had extra insulation installed (due to government schemes for free insulation) that gets thrown over all cable's and joists (so you cant see the joist just have to feel for them) that a cable close to the limit will soon be unsuitable through external influences. Not our problem some will say but if it all melts/catches fire who the first person they're gonna blame?....muggin 'ere and i could do without that hassle tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SirKit Breaker

SirKit Breaker Guest

Very good point............

Cheers...........Howard

11. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

has length really got anything to do with this question. as volt drop and zs is only factors to do with length.

but please teach me something if it works.

12. Guitarist

Guitarist Trusted Advisor

Unless it's a really hot summer, I don't know of anyone who uses the "low" setting on an electric shower. Remember, fixed output, variable flow :)

13. darkwood

darkwood Super Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor

You Kind of answered your own question, if length is too long for the given size and loading of the cable then volts drop may not comply with reg's

14. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Just suppose you did a rewire, you did all the calcs and derated the cable accordingly and have the paperwork to prove it.Everything is fine and tests out perfectly so you cert it, money changes hands and everyone is happy.
    Then some muppet comes along and dumps 200 mm of tickly wool all over it which causes the cable to heat up and eventually starts a fire.
    Who is going to be held responsible? Certainly not you imho, you have done your job correctly and can prove it. What I think the problem is is that companys have sprung up out of nowhere supplying insulation all paid for by the government. If they are not aware of the effect of their product or are unable/unwilling to train their monkeys oops sorry I meant installers then it's their look out not ours.

15. darkwood

darkwood Super Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor

I agree trev but with hind-sight now all buildings that dont have loft insulation are slowly been upgraded and all new have it, if you wire through the loft you should be designing with the propect of loft insulation been fitted at some future point, i just did one and kept the cable above and where it passes down i fixed a 2"/2" trunking so any depth insulation would be kept off it.

• Like Like x 1