Discuss 9.5 kW shower on 2.5!!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was doing a eicr today. Came across a shower 9.5 kW Mira ,which had been installed for at least 8years.
its was brutally spurred off the bathroom heater which was protected by a 15'amp rewireable fuse. All, done in 2.5 t&e .
The client swore he knew nothing about it, and said he did have someone change the shower a good few years ago .
He also claimed it had never blown the fuse , I checked it was 15 amp wire , and I can only assume on cold days the heater was on as well and the shower was working hard.
Bizarre
To be fair the cable was still in good condition and belled out at 299.
whats going on here folks. It dosent add up!!

I saw one once connected to the upstairs lighting circuit with a 30a wire in the 5a 3036 fuse. The 1.0mm cable had completely melted where it passed through insulation,but was visually undamaged in free air. It was chased into the wall on the drop to the CU and the heat damaged several of the cables chased in alongside it.
Householder had only just moved in....lovely surprise for them!

I was doing a eicr today. Came across a shower 9.5 kW Mira ,which had been installed for at least 8years.
its was brutally spurred off the bathroom heater which was protected by a 15'amp rewireable fuse. All, done in 2.5 t&e .
The client swore he knew nothing about it, and said he did have someone change the shower a good few years ago .
He also claimed it had never blown the fuse , I checked it was 15 amp wire , and I can only assume on cold days the heater was on as well and the shower was working hard.
Bizarre
To be fair the cable was still in good condition and belled out at 299.
whats going on here folks. It dosent add up!!

Belled out? whats that

It's more commonly used to refer to a continuity test Pete, even more odd.

I realise what it means but as an Apprentice he should be taught to use the right terminology "belled out at 299" what apples sorry Ive got a headache and that sort of thing really ticks me off.

I realise what it means but as an Apprentice he should be taught to use the right terminology "belled out at 299" what apples sorry Ive got a headache and that sort of thing really ticks me off.
too mmuch of the red?

I'm really sorry my terminology annoyed you so much, consider me well told off and I will stand in the corner for 20 mins.
Its a common terminology up my way. I assume it comes from the old testers which basically were an audible continuity.
i applied 500 volts to the cable and it gave me a reading of greater than 299 ohms. Hope that helps.

what would you say, pete, if he said he'd meggered it?

I'm really sorry my terminology annoyed you so much, consider me well told off and I will stand in the corner for 20 mins.
Its a common terminology up my way. I assume it comes from the old testers which basically were an audible continuity.
i applied 500 volts to the cable and it gave me a reading of greater than 299 ohms. Hope that helps.

299 Mohms you mean, Don't forget the dunces cap, and you have detention for the next week

I hope you realise that you have to go in 'the naughty corner' 1 min x age. So unless you are 20 years old then the time needs altering..... :)

Most showers have 2 power settings, maybe its always on the first one.

Come on guys, give the guy a break, we were all apprentices once. So he got the terminology wrong, none of us a perfect, but at least he had the balls to come on here and ask the question.

Come on guys, give the guy a break, we were all apprentices once. So he got the terminology wrong, none of us a perfect, but at least he had the balls to come on here and ask the question.

I'm being a good boy..... Then again I always am.... :)

Pretty sure Pete and the guys were having a larf, and pretty sure the OP took it as such given his response. All in good spirit I reckon.

Now if someone said they had 'belled something out at 299' I would think 299 ohms, not 299 megohms, because 'bell test' is slang for continuity test not insulation. So here it was definitely the wrong term especially as the units weren't given although I don't mind the phrase 'bell out' used in the right place. Much like saying you 'paced out the length at 25' which would imply yards, but actually you meant measured with a rule at 25mm.

Reply to 9.5 kW shower on 2.5!!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net