Discuss 90 million pounds for a painting? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm not saying if you have £90,000,000 you shouldn't be able to spend it on what you want, but could someone explain why a not particularly good painting of a man standing by a swimming pool looking at another man underwater is worth that sort of money? I really am totally baffled. Even if It was a great painting, how can it be worth that much?

Just look as how much someone pays for some bloke to kick a ball round a field for less than 2 hours...

Probably the most influential artist to come from this country, to me it is a great piece of work and the cost of something is only relative. If I had the money would I, yes.

well we pay footballers 25 million a year for kicking a ball about for 90 mins a week and they are all nancy boys, at least the painting will last for century's if looked after and grow in wealth.

It will all be someway associated with a tax dodge or limiting someones exposure to a tax bill. People with money know how to play the game be it with cars or art.

Bit it isn't even very good . And if that's the influence he&d had then no wonder there's so much rubbish called 'art'. I suppose at 99 million dollars it's a bit better.

Good or bad is subjective and is in the eye of the beholder, I would personally never get bored of it. I agree a lot of art has zero appeal to me but again this is subjective, to me David Hockneys work stands on its own level and is unique as is the artist.

its how the upper classes stop the working classes from getting into their club, pay stupid amounts of money for stuff. its like with the children in need charity auctions on radio 2, the moment the bidding starts poor people can forget it because some rich --- is willing to pay 30,000 to have tea with someone off tv. I know its for charity but I find it in bad taste to basically show the people its trying to help that they are not as worthy as rich people.

its how the upper classes stop the working classes from getting into their club, pay stupid amounts of money for stuff. its like with the children in need charity auctions on radio 2, the moment the bidding starts poor people can forget it because some rich --- is willing to pay 30,000 to have tea with someone off tv. I know its for charity but I find it in bad taste to basically show the people its trying to help that they are not as worthy as rich people.
Should have tried harder at school and became a plumber..........

That bitter pill must be hard to swallow.

Alan Sugar for example was born in Hackney on a council estate to immigrant working class parents, if you have the hunger you will make it in life in your chosen field, so stop being a defeatist and blaming your woe's on others ;o)))

alan sugar made his money by selling crap audio gear (amstrad) to unsuspecting public. same with dyson. good marketing beats decent products all day long.

Good or bad is subjective and is in the eye of the beholder, I would personally never get bored of it. I agree a lot of art has zero appeal to me but again this is subjective, to me David Hockneys work stands on its own level and is unique as is the artist.

You never struck me as being an art fan. Personally I'm not keen on Hockneys work, but then other people can't quite fathom why I like and own the art that I do.

It's a very personal thing as you say, and I never got that until I was walking past a gallery in Lisburn and saw a picture by a Northern Irish artist... fell in love with it, had to have it and have since purchased quite a few pieces (not all by the same person) and have my eye on several more :) Never thought I'd contemplate buying a painting, but like many things... when you least expect it :)

i'd only ever buy a painting if it was dirt cheap at a car boot and i could see a huge profit. otherwise, i'll spend disposable income on tools and.

Probably the most influential artist to come from this country, to me it is a great piece of work and the cost of something is only relative. If I had the money would I, yes.
No you wouldn’t, you’d buy lots of shoes - admit it!

I also like some art, but it's the silly money for something that hasn't taken much skill to produce. I think one 'masterpiece' is a black square on a red background. Or was it the other way round. Anyway, it sold for millions. Now a proper artist would work hard and use a lot of skill to produce a good picture. David Shepherd springs to mind.

Reply to 90 million pounds for a painting? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock