Discuss 95 volts in an Earthing Conductor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Greg:

To make things worse the voltage is entering a shared Main Earthing Terminal from a separate premises with occupiers that don't seem to be that bothered about the situation. Things don't get better. In the section of the building which doesn't contribute to the voltage to the MET they've recently installed an electric shower. Its on a circuit with its own RCBO. Clearly the resi current part of the RCBO only supplies protection from earth currents generated within the equipment and not from currents supplied from external sources.

I got called to the building by the shower owning and guitar playing resident upstairs because of an apparent earth feedback problem on his electric guitar. So I checked the sockets and they all seemed to be be in order. And then, after checking there was no one downstairs and giving an instruction not to touch electric equipment or fixed items made of metal I started disconnecting earthing conductors.

After finding the 95 volts through testing I was intrigued to see the result when bringing the earthing conductor into contact with the Earthing Terminal. Sparks flew.

OK, a bit about the building. The ground (interesting term) floor is industrial. I guess the upstairs floor used to contain the offices related to the works. Supply goes straight upstairs and is now split to two meters (recently installed) and two visible DBs. There's also a large lever operated isolator connected to downstairs power. More on that later.

When the people downstairs returned they were good enough to let me take a quick look in the premises and after climbing my way over to a downstairs DB, which gave every appearance of being in operation and which the occupiers claimed was used to isolate non specified items of their equipment, I couldn't help but notice that the earthing conductor to this board had been cut and was hanging lose in the air.

A discussion with the people downstairs was called for. I received an explanation that all the problems were caused by the supplier and that they had tried many times to get independent supplies worked out for both floors of the building. I explained that this had nothing to do with the earth fault and that even though the Network Operator would supply a service head and meter there would be local responsibility to connect distribution and further explained that if for any reason there was a disconnection to earth and if someone was injured as a result then responsibility would lie with the downstairs property ... which, apparently, was not a problem. They are insured.

Any thoughts about this situation would be appreciated including in relation to switching off downstairs power when taking a shower. Not knowing what equipment they use downstairs I'm thinking that the people downstairs may need to be notified when power was about to go down and this complication is added to by the ~25 meter round trip that would need to be taken between the shower and the DB.

Edit: I forgot to say that the fault with the guitar turned out to be an unrelated problem with the pedal. It was only due to this mistake that I got the call out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I would ditch the voltage tester and logically using an insulation resistance tester track down the fault.

Where was the 95v ?
What's the earthing at the meters, single MET? Earth arrangement?
Are the properties owner occupied?
Where does the cut earth originate?

Switching off downstairs when showering,, complete madness.
If there is a fault everthing should be turned off NOW, until fault found.

Did you check which direction the voltage is going, into you or exported?
Did you do a clamp test for current? This would indicate direction of flow.

You have, me thinks, an actual dangerous installation now and all should be done to determine how 95V is getting to the met. 95V is a nice voltage you get sometimes when earth is either used as a neutral or a fault on a piece of equipment. You need, i think to start to break down the installation until you identify which part of the installation is generating this voltage.

Where was the 95v ?
What's the earthing at the meters, single MET? Earth arrangement?
Are the properties owner occupied?
Where does the cut earth originate?

Switching off downstairs when showering,, complete madness.
If there is a fault everthing should be turned off NOW, until fault found.

Between the earthing conductor connected to the installation downstairs.

Upstairs is rented

Downstairs at garage style DB. I'm thinking that this is a danger in its own right and informed the occupiers of this so I could return to concerns of the earthing voltage.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I would ditch the voltage tester and logically using an insulation resistance tester track down the fault.

which I would do if I had immediate access to the downstairs property.

What a dangerous situation ;
What you are experiencing when you re connect the cpc in the domestic premises is the fault current from the other unit back tracking in to the domestic unit and quite possibly down through the bonding . Disconnect other unit or connect the earh wire in their

What a dangerous situation ;
What you are experiencing when you re connect the cpc in the domestic premises is the fault current from the other unit back tracking in to the domestic unit and quite possibly down through the bonding . Disconnect other unit or connect the earh wire in their

Which is why I was asking which way it is going.
A spark when you pot two wires together doesnt tell you much.

Which is why I was asking which way it is going.
A spark when you pot two wires together doesn't tell you much.

After my temporary disconnect of the earthing to the premises downstairs and the MET I checked for current between the MET and earth and there was none. I also found that the voltage in the earthing disappeared when I disconnected supply to downstairs and reasoned that the problem was with the electrics in that premises.

The problem would have similarities to a situation in which an adjacent property experienced high earth leakage. The significant difference being that the earth path for the premises downstairs goes through a shared MET.

Sorry I should have replied to your question earlier.

Maybe I've missed these points, but:
1) What is the earthing system?
2) Between which two points were you measuring this 95V, and under what circumstances?
3) What instrument were you using to measure the voltage? (ie high impedance / low impedance)
4) How did you check for current in the earthing conductor (between MET and means of earthing)?

It might also be useful to know:
a) What the Ze at the incoming supply / MET is.
b) What the current in the conductor that you disconnected was when you re-connected it.

1) What is the earthing system? TNCS
2) Between which two points were you measuring this 95V, and under what circumstance? The earthing conductor from the isolator that supplies a feed for the neighbouring/ downstairs premises
3) What instrument were you using to measure the voltage? (ie high impedance / low impedance) high
4) How did you check for current in the earthing conductor (between MET and means of earthing)? across a variety of connections to the MET with volt meter

a) What the Ze at the incoming supply / MET is. a reasonably low value
b) What the current in the conductor that you disconnected was when you re-connected it. The earthing conductor from the neighbouring premises was reconnected to Earth via the MET (the only available route to earth) and unless something had changed within the neighbouring premises I presume the voltage to earth remained the same

responses inserted

When you're measuring stuff, you need to be clear what you're measuring. Voltage has to be between two points (you can't have a voltage in isolation, it has to be relative to some other point), and current has to be measured with an ammeter (or a voltmeter and a known resistance).

1) What is the earthing system? TNCS
Good.

2) Between which two points were you measuring this 95V, and under what circumstance? The earthing conductor from the isolator that supplies a feed for the neighbouring/ downstairs premises
OK, that's one point, but what was your reference point?

3) What instrument were you using to measure the voltage? (ie high impedance / low impedance) high
Which means that it could be just an induced voltage or via a very high impedance line to earth fault.

4) How did you check for current in the earthing conductor (between MET and means of earthing)? across a variety of connections to the MET with volt meter
So you're not measuring current, but voltage?

Did you measure this? Any idea what the actual value was?

b) What the current in the conductor that you disconnected was when you re-connected it. The earthing conductor from the neighbouring premises was reconnected to Earth via the MET (the only available route to earth) and unless something had changed within the neighbouring premises I presume the voltage to earth remained the same

You need to invest in a reasonably sensitive clamp meter and actually measure currents. At present we're just guessing about what's happening.

Or maybe some insulation resistance testing on the two installations. I'd start with a global L+N to E test at the boards and go from there.

Thanks handy for following this through.

OK, that's one point, but what was your reference point?

Sorry, this had been mentioned earlier but wasn't repeated. Between the conductor and the MET.

So you're not measuring current, but voltage?

My view is that the potential for current flow was checked but not measured. Loop impedance tests checked continuity to earth while the voltage test checked the potential for the flow of a level of current which would clearly provide a potential for harm should further faults develop.

Did you measure this? Any idea what the actual value was?

One of the first things I did after at this call out was to check Zs in an earth path test at sockets (sorry for the simple language but I've advised the client to view this thread to help them come to decision as to what to do with the downstairs feed). The main headline at that stage was that there was an Earth path but I seem to remember results that fluctuated around .63 ohms.

Or maybe some insulation resistance testing on the two installations. I'd start with a global L+N to E test at the boards and go from there.

I know that the neighbouring installation has IT equipment plugged in so without gaining contact with them i won't be able to get much meaning from insulation resistance testing.

You will share an earth if its a 3 phase supply coming into a build then spurring off to supply sub section remember this happens in a row of say 4 terraced houses where the DNO takes a 3 phase supply to one house then spur off to the rest now this is not a lecture here but coming on shooting from the hip aint no good for anyone as you can end up running about chasing your tale and yes I have said this before when you post a question give as much info as you can Ze,PFC,PSSC Zs even a global IR test

Just to add a lot of domestic sparks do not realise that supply cables are all 3 phase hence when you lose a phase say in a street then its every third house that has no power an example would be a block of flats where you get a 3 phase neutral and earth entering the building and then it is broken down to single phase supplies to each flat and the neutral and earth are all shared back in the service cupboard

Why not go through the board switching off circuits until the voltage clears, then fault find the offending circuit?

There are multiple items of switchgear for the neighbouring premises downstairs with one of the downstairs boards being placed upstairs. Other than switching off at the main isolator checks conducted on my visit did not clear the voltage. Agreed but fault finding requires access to the premises.

You will share an earth if ...

The earthing block used is pretty similar to this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/TLEB8.JPG

This one block is used for the earthing of two premises. It is carrying AC current which, as I explained to the client, has the potential to loosen connection over time through the possible manifestation of vibrations at 50 hertz.

Best case scenario is for the supplier to provide separate supplies for both premises but failing that a new/less worn MET would otherwise be installed.

Just go and fix it man ffs.
Are you a house basher, domestic installer or Electrical Trainee?
There is a lot of info being given/suggested here that an apprentice trained spark would know..........or work out!

Boydy

Reply to 95 volts in an Earthing Conductor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock