Discuss A Bastion of a job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
£36k a year to work in Afghanistan ! Taking the ****.

Electrician

Salary:tearsofjoy:3k per monthLocation:AfghanistanJob Type:Contract/InterimDate Posted:11-Mar-2013 10:42Add to My ShortlistJob Title : Electrician Reports to : Electrical Supervisor Location : Afghanistan, on secure Military Bases Working Conditions: Based in an operational theatre of war, with arduous conditions Contract: Initial 3 month offer with a view to permanent placement Qualifications, Experience and Skills : Essential: * A minimum of 3 years Electrical experience * Familiar with Electrical maintenance; planned and..

I earn that in Wales, which whilst equally dangerous in parts doesn`t smell as bad:sosp:

I looked at a job in the Falklands last year for The MOD and that was 26k, so you get an extra 10k for suntan and Hand grenades, I'd do it, just for the crack

Electrician

Salary:tearsofjoy:3k per monthLocation:AfghanistanJob Type:Contract/InterimDate Posted:11-Mar-2013 10:42Add to My ShortlistJob Title : Electrician Reports to : Electrical Supervisor Location : Afghanistan, on secure Military Bases Working Conditions: Based in an operational theatre of war, with arduous conditions Contract: Initial 3 month offer with a view to permanent placement Qualifications, Experience and Skills : Essential: * A minimum of 3 years Electrical experience * Familiar with Electrical maintenance; planned and..

I earn that in Wales, which whilst equally dangerous in parts doesn`t smell as bad:sosp:

Is that figure free of UK or Afgan income tax and whatever?? Does the poisition also include an all included package, with all meals provided etc!!
If so, that would be worth more than the 36K stated in real terms!!

So what was or is, the going rate for service contractor provided electricians in Afganistan??

From what I've seen before, that will include travel to and from afghan( looks like you get to go home once every 3 months), 3squares , accommodation and aircon, gym access too, biggest downside would be lack of alcohol, but great way to get fit. Mind you, you would do 12hours a day
Not a bad package, and locked in Bastion for the contract period not hugely dangerous, except by the occasional rocket attack, but hey the welsh are pretty aggressive when provoked lol

Electrician

And all the sheep you fancy :drool5: :smilielol5:

Is that figure free of UK or Afgan income tax and whatever?? Does the poisition also include an all included package, with all meals provided etc!!
If so, that would be worth more than the 36K stated in real terms!!

So what was or is, the going rate for service contractor provided electricians in Afganistan??

Only pans out if you are homeless here or you still get the mortgage to pay. Having had hand grenades thrown at me before, a long long time ago, I can tell you its not worth the hassle. Long days, 6 days on , one off for 3 months in 100c and a bunch of trigger happy badly trained yanks mooching about the place. All for £100 a day (Tax free) No way, would need to be 3 times that at least to tempt me to that hellhole.

- - - Updated - - -

And all the sheep you fancy :drool5: :smilielol5:

And goats are fine :devil:

£36K Tax Free, meals, laundry, accommodation etc all provided, isn't that bad a rate for an electrician. As i have stated that 36K actually equates to quite a bit more in real terms!! Your also exaggerating the temperatures by almost 100%!! ...lol!!

I've seen the claims made on here and other places about salaries 3 times that being offered above in Afghanistan, but never once seen a vacancy for an electrician ever advertising such salaries!! lol!! Maybe in the very early days of the conflict, when the conflict danger was far more prevalent, but now those risks although still present, are or have been substantially reduced.

You may still have a monthly mortgage to pay, but at least it Will be paid every month!! lol!! You wont need to be spending a penny while your on a tour, so theoretically that 3K a month, is straight into your pocket!! And most overseas contract positions will always be for 10 hours 5.5 to 6 working days a week, so nothing new there!!

Last edited by a moderator:
£36K Tax Free, meals, laundry, accommodation etc all provided, isn't that bad a rate for an electrician. As i have stated that 36K actually equates to quite a bit more in real terms!! Your also exaggerating the temperatures by almost 100%!! ...lol!!

I've seen the claims made on here and other places about salaries 3 times that being offered above in Afghanistan, but never once seen a vacancy ever advertising such salaries!! lol!! Maybe in the very early days of the conflict, when the conflict danger was far more prevalent, but now those risks although still present, are or have been substantially reduced.

You may still have a monthly mortgage to pay, but at least it Will be paid every month!! lol!! You wont need to be spending a penny while your on a tour, so theoretically that 3K a month, is straight into your pocket!! And most overseas contract positions will always be for 10 hours 5.5 to 6 working days a week, so nothing new there!!

The wife will be having a field day at home!

£36k a year to work in Afghanistan ! Taking the ****. Electrician Salary:tearsofjoy:3k per monthLocation:AfghanistanJob Type:Contract/InterimDate Posted:11-Mar-2013 10:42Add to My ShortlistJob Title : Electrician Reports to : Electrical Supervisor Location : Afghanistan, on secure Military Bases Working Conditions: Based in an operational theatre of war, with arduous conditions Contract: Initial 3 month offer with a view to permanent placement Qualifications, Experience and Skills : Essential: * A minimum of 3 years Electrical experience * Familiar with Electrical maintenance; planned and.. I earn that in Wales, which whilst equally dangerous in parts doesn`t smell as bad:sosp:
where's the part that says "our client requires" ...blah...blah....recruitment limited operates as an employment business... they are getting a lot of Indian workers in afghan now....a few mates were there in RM and Army and informed me, also a few sparks were over last year and back in 2007 and said it changed a lot .....the yanks don't want to do it now as they have been changed over from 6 months tax free to a minimum of 2 years out of country otherwise less than 2 years outside US gets fully taxed.......here it used to be 6 months as well but now it has been moved to 2 years minimum so you would pay full UK tax on any earnings from abroad.....the special dispensation on tax for people working for/with the military or government has also been removed, that includes office maintenance worldwide as well now, flklands used to be tax free to encourage travel to work there, this has been discontinued as well as far as I know.... so you pay full tax

E54 yes, 100F may have been a little nearer the mark. But lets to the maths. £3k a month. On an OS contract you would expect to be doing at least a 50 hour week probably 60. So lets say 220 hours pcm which equates to about £13 per hour! OK so if you get away without paying tax (IF) and you dont have to feed yourself its still only equates to what £20 per hour or so. Not much incentive to drag yourself back to a country thats still in the middle ages IMHO.

where's the part that says "our client requires" ...blah...blah....recruitment limited operates as an employment business... they are getting a lot of Indian workers in afghan now....a few mates were there in RM and Army and informed me, also a few sparks were over last year and back in 2007 and said it changed a lot .....the yanks don't want to do it now as they have been changed over from 6 months tax free to a minimum of 2 years out of country otherwise less than 2 years outside US gets fully taxed.......here it used to be 6 months as well but now it has been moved to 2 years minimum so you would pay full UK tax on any earnings from abroad.....the special dispensation on tax for people working for/with the military or government has also been removed, that includes office maintenance worldwide as well now, flklands used to be tax free to encourage travel to work there, this has been discontinued as well as far as I know.... so you pay full tax

To the best of my Knowledge, the Yanks don't get any Tax Free deals, they STILL have to pay US taxes no matter what country they live and work in. Whether that is at a reduced rate, i'm not sure. One of the reasons why they tend to be on far higher salaries than Europeans. That tax by the way, also applies to any free accommodation too, among other things!! lol!!

Don't know what the current UK overseas tax situation is now, it used to be 12 months, that allowed you 90 days back in the UK. Doesn't affect me now, one way or the other!! lol!!

I've seen the claims made on here and other places about salaries 3 times that being offered
above in Afghanistan, but never once seen a vacancy for an electrician ever advertising such salaries!! lol!! Maybe in the very early days of the conflict, when the conflict danger was far more prevalent, but now those risks although still present, are or have been substantially reduced.

yes...its called `5 week course provider advertising`....lol..

E54 yes, 100F may have been a little nearer the mark. But lets to the maths. £3k a month. On an OS contract you would expect to be doing at least a 50 hour week probably 60. So lets say 220 hours pcm which equates to about £13 per hour! OK so if you get away without paying tax (IF) and you dont have to feed yourself its still only equates to what £20 per hour or so. Not much incentive to drag yourself back to a country thats still in the middle ages IMHO.

That would i imagine, depend on an individuals circumstances, it's still not a bad deal at all, for someone finding the going difficult getting work in the UK.

Reply to A Bastion of a job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net