Discuss A DIYer's question about Industrial wiring in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I quite take your point, Murdoch and yes, there's always that danger.
My reasoning for the approach I've used is that I now have a Sparks I can trust and if I do it right he doesn't have to run around sourcing bits and I get a good job done at a good price.
Like I said, I'm retired, I have the time and if an electrics job gets done this week, or next month, generally it doesn't matter. I have plenty to do renovating and building the rest of the house.
Without any shadow of doubt, I've found that shopping around - and having the time to do it - saves a LOT on materials. The Sparks can't afford to spend half an hour on the internet looking for the best deal but I can. He has to go to either the nearest supplier, or his regular supplier and accept what they offer. An instance of this was the sourcing of the RCBOs for the DB. I got most of them, all new, ranging in price from £18 to £24. The ones I didn't have, or that weren't in stock from my usual supplier, had to come from a local supplier (the exact same one the Sparks uses) at £45+ each. He ordered them, I collected them - and it was painful. From experience I've found that once a supplier has your sole attention, the prices tend to drift upwards. It certainly applies to Builder's Merchants as well.

Pete999: Your hopes are fulfilled and I'm afraid you are mistaken - and I'm not in trouble. Yes, I'm pretty confident I could do it safely and properly and I have in the past. I built dozens of phase converters for individual motors and connected up lots of machines but things have changed, especially the rules and the consequences of it going wrong.
I'm most certainly not doing the work this time, unless you call aiming to make a few holes in walls, screwing on a box, or two or running a length of conduit 'doing the work your good self'. Maybe it was the way I wrote it but the whole point is I'm not waiting to the last minute to source bits. I'm trying to get ahead of the drag curve.
Unfortunately I seem to be a lone voice trying a slightly different approach. I'm spending more time reading and answering reasons why I should not take the approach, rather than reading about what I should be looking for.
Will
Bit of an ego problem there Will

.... and that works both ways, Murdoch. You conduct your business how you want. For my part I would never employ an electrician who maintains that I know nothing, don't know what I want and should not have any input into how the job is done.

Please demonstrate where I stated that...............

I see where you are coming from and if it suits both parties whereas you can wait when the electrician is available and it keeps him in work during a lull period.I would have thought that your electrician could have got a good deal from the usual wholesaler he uses?As for your original question, it should be your electrician's design having seen the job but normally it would be SWA buried/in a duct at an adequate depth.

Bit of an ego problem there Will
Ah Pete. And there was I thinking you were being so much more gentle with me than your usual approach.:)
I honestly didn't think it was my ego that was a problem but if you say so..........:(
I'd would take the criticism that I have a habit of reacting badly to pomposity, rudeness, dismissiveness........ the list goes on - but all I wanted was a bit of sage advice, other than get a Sparks and latterly someone to believe that I really was not going to do it myself. If the necessity of digging up floors came into it (buried trunking), I'd like to know beforehand. It would probably change my whole approach.
Will

Please demonstrate where I stated that...............
Actually, I don't believe I said you stated that. From your post I took it that you would try not to have me as a client (customer, really, since I'd be paying the bill) because:
"In my experience there is nothing worse than a customer who wants to get involved and supply of (sic) bits and pieces. You are exactly the type of client I avoid unless i have full control of all the parts and installation......"
I don't think it's that unreasonable to infer from your statement that a customer has been assumed to have no knowledge worth consideration if their input is to be dismissed and absolute control exercised by the contractor.
If I got that wrong, well I'll try to feel sorry - but like I said, it's an inference, or probably more accurately, an interpretation, as was yours regarding what I said.
None of this cr*p gets me, or anyone else, anywhere. At the risk of repeating myself endlessly, I came for help and advice other than 'get a Sparks'. That's like listening to a parent who's only answer to a child's "Why?" is "Because I said so!" The regular thinly veiled accusation that I'm going to 'DIY it' don't help much either.
There's some good stuff to be had but it's soul destroying wading through the rest to find the bits you need on what I (foolishly?) thought was a help and advice forum.
Will

Hi Willum, just thought I would reach out and say hello. Having observed the interactions it is a shame you will go away with the feelings you expressed. It is not the purpose of the forum to make people feel unwelcome. I can assure I have had my moments with members but I have a very thick skin and can hold my corner ok. I appreciate your viewpoint and would ask you to consider not tarring the whole forum black. There is some good discussions on here. Someone opened a thread on this topic. It is a tricky situation to be in at the one time wanting to help and the same time being cautious about helping as one can't easily assay the skill/knowledge of the person and the dangers in advising. What you have described is very difficult to opine on at a distance involving delta and possible star/delta motors with the required DOL switching and power requirements. It is quite a job to work out and install those items properly and someone would have to be onsite and physically eyeballing the situation. Hence the paucity of advice. But all in all as I say there are friendly times on here and try not to be discouraged by a few perceived (justifiable!) slights it is worth persevering.

Hi Willum, just thought I would reach out and say hello. Having observed the interactions it is a shame you will go away with the feelings you expressed. It is not the purpose of the forum to make people feel unwelcome. I can assure I have had my moments with members but I have a very thick skin and can hold my corner ok. I appreciate your viewpoint and would ask you to consider not tarring the whole forum black. There is some good discussions on here. Someone opened a thread on this topic. It is a tricky situation to be in at the one time wanting to help and the same time being cautious about helping as one can't easily assay the skill/knowledge of the person and the dangers in advising. What you have described is very difficult to opine on at a distance involving delta and possible star/delta motors with the required DOL switching and power requirements. It is quite a job to work out and install those items properly and someone would have to be onsite and physically eyeballing the situation. Hence the paucity of advice. But all in all as I say there are friendly times on here and try not to be discouraged by a few perceived (justifiable!) slights it is worth persevering.
Hi Vortigern.
Thanks for that. A voice of reason - and I fully appreciate what you say.
Sadly, you shouldn't have had to write it.
I can easily understand how it's difficult/impossible to work out someone's level of knowledge from afar. There's one thing I do know for sure, though. Having been an instructor for many years, the fastest way to alienate a student/pupil is to denigrate them and attack or insult their level of knowledge and understanding. Once you destroy that wish to learn, you have lost the game, probably forever.
I came on here to try and learn something. I've learnt something - but it's certainly not just been confined to the practicalities of what I want to do with my lathe electrics.
Amongst all the unpleasant bits, I've seen from the helpful posts that it is more complex than I thought. I've said as much. I thought I'd initially presented as much information as possible in order to get an answer that didn't mean dozens of questions having to be asked. It appears it was instantly construed as 'I'm going to DIY it" Other than holes in walls, fastening things up, etc, I've never intended to do it all myself, despite the accusations - veiled, or otherwise.
It would be nice if all the unpleasant bits, my reactions included, could be removed from this thread. It might then be of some use.
I don't and never will understood the approach that says if you think a question or plan is daft, ill informed, or ill conceived, then the best response is to attack and/or insult the originator. I certainly don't need mollycoddling, not after the profession I was in, but it's just so unnecessary.
Will

I see where you are coming from and if it suits both parties whereas you can wait when the electrician is available and it keeps him in work during a lull period.I would have thought that your electrician could have got a good deal from the usual wholesaler he uses?As for your original question, it should be your electrician's design having seen the job but normally it would be SWA buried/in a duct at an adequate depth.
Ah! Sorry Anthony. In the midst of all this, I've missed this bit. I'm glad someone agrees with at least one bit of my plan. ;)
Will

I am not a UK spark but I will tell you. These guys are speaking out for your safety.
If you are purchasing materials get the parts recommended by your spark.
He will know more of what's required for a safe and legal job.
The same goes for prepping.
Improperly prepared jobs involve more labor to correct and a lot more time.
Most of the time the rough responses they give are from having to fix up messes someone else made.

Reply to A DIYer's question about Industrial wiring in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net