Discuss A few questions regarding domestic installing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Broze

Hi guys
Hopefully this is the right section.

Anyway several years ago I did the city and guilds 2330 level 2.
At the time I wasn't told that I'd need the nvq level 3 to fully qualify, and obviously with me being 38 now an apprenticeship is out of the question.
As I do property maintenance and renovation as my main job it was recently suggested to me to just do the domestic installer course.
But I am being told different things from different colleges, and training companies. Some saying that I need to do the whole level 2 again as it's now changing and the 2330 no longer exists. Others telling me that it will count towards my domestic installer certification and I'd need to do the 17th edition, part p, inspection and test etc.

Just wondering if somebody can shed some light on this please? Which other courses do I need to be able to sign off on my own work in a domestic capacity? Obviously I don't want to get ripped off or pay for a course that college tell me I'd need and others say I don't.

Any advice and course suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks ☺️

There is no such thing as a part P course, part p is just the building regs!
likewise there is no domestic installer course. its all money making marketing nonsense.
Basically you need your 17th edition, and ideally but not essential a decent testing qualification. the rest is just padding to justify the high costs in these centres.
I recently wrote on another post that to join elecsa or niceic you need your 17th ed. a bunch of books, test kit and certificates and be able to show a notifiable job such as a CU change. when you apply to join they give you a online multi choice test as an alternative to higher qualifications, its a joke as you can use your books to find the answer! when the assessor does pop round he will ask you about tripping times, expected results etc... and you will need to be able to demonstrate good use of your test equipment. Most important of all is that the cheque clears! then the worlds your oyster as it were.
best advice is ring Elecsa or NICEIC and ask them for most upto date info. they want your money so will be more than helpful

You will not be a qualified sparks wiuhout a technical cert at Level 3, AM2 and NVQ3. Domestic installer BS is something the NICEIC made up I believe to make lots of money. All this aside, it is competence that is key.

Thanks for your replies.

With my work being primarily property renovation and maintenance, wouldnt just the relevant qualifications to gain NICEIC membership be enough?

The reason I ask is that I'm 38 years old now and getting an NVQ in this field of work would be close to impossible due to not knowing any electricians already and an apprenticeship not possible either.

Thanks for your replies.

With my work being primarily property renovation and maintenance, wouldnt just the relevant qualifications to gain NICEIC membership be enough?

The reason I ask is that I'm 38 years old now and getting an NVQ in this field of work would be close to impossible due to not knowing any electricians already and an apprenticeship not possible either.

The NICEIC will happily take your money yes!

To be fair, you are putting the question to electricians who have served thier time to become qualified and competent. Short course is your choice. If Won't make you a sparks though.

Good luck with whatever choice you choose to go with though. :)

Reply to A few questions regarding domestic installing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net