Discuss A general query on lodging away. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wanting to know what the norm is for others and other companies. Im with an employer whos part of the jib which means we do get perks that i know are different to others.

My question is this...at current im working away roughly 180 miles from the works offices, normally we are a local company. The journey can take between 3 to 4 hours but we have to make journey time up. So we leave our town at 6am (normal work hours are 8 am til 4pm) on a monday, we dont get to site until 10pm so this means we now have to work until 6pm. But still only get flat rate. We do get a travel allowance of £26 each way. So £56 for approx 8 hrs travel.
To leave at 1pm on a friday we have to work an extra 2.5 hrs in the week so again extra time but just to make time up.

Is this standard practice?

All depends on your contract. My place we get flat rate overtime for driving outside our normal 7.5 hour day.

Hi,if you keep doing it at that rate,you will make it "normal":(

If the job is going to run,get in and sort an acceptable arrangement.

You will know if you've done alright,if they ask you to keep the details schtum;)

I'm having the same problem with my boss at the minute who thinks that travel time isn't working time.
I think you should have a look at the working time directive which states that mobile workers have to have their travel time included in the working day.
Also it may be beneficial to stay away if your having to travel that amount of time to get to site I'm not 100% but anything over a 2hr drive your entitled to ask

This sort of question raises a question of what is deemed "acceptable" before employers need to pay.............

I'm SE so its my issue , is there no guidance on this?

Hi guys

Just wanting to know what the norm is for others and other companies. Im with an employer whos part of the jib which means we do get perks that i know are different to others.

My question is this...at current im working away roughly 180 miles from the works offices, normally we are a local company. The journey can take between 3 to 4 hours but we have to make journey time up. So we leave our town at 6am (normal work hours are 8 am til 4pm) on a monday, we dont get to site until 10pm so this means we now have to work until 6pm. But still only get flat rate. We do get a travel allowance of £26 each way. So £56 for approx 8 hrs travel.
To leave at 1pm on a friday we have to work an extra 2.5 hrs in the week so again extra time but just to make time up.

Is this standard practice?

Read the JIB handbook.

It’s all in there with regards to lodge and travel etc.

Read the JIB handbook.

It’s all in there with regards to lodge and travel etc.[/QUOT

It is,but as long as employers are outlining the rules,and lads are following them,a precedence is set.

I can well understand the reluctance of employed lads,to bring this to the attention of their employers,if they have adhered to the policy,for a length of time.

I'd find another job or turn up at the workshop at 08:00 and travel from there in their time. Don't be taken advantage of and if you do it for too long then you have "accepted" the changes.

Screw leaving home at 06:00 and getting home at 22:00 I'd only do it for a decent amount of £££££££'s

Reply to A general query on lodging away. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock