• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss A little about me and what I’ve done in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
morning folks, I’ve been an electrician for over 20 years in the RAF working on generators and associated equipment used to maintain aircraft. Essentially if it didn’t fly with the aircraft I fixed it. Alongside that I regularly set up Temporary Electrical Installations for various uses from accommodation tents, working environments and entertainment. This second part required 17th edition knowledge skills as well as Inspect and Test. There was no legal requirement to hold 2391 so we were trained to the standard (by a lecturer who also taught in the local college) including completion of a past paper that he marked.

I’m here because I left the RAF this year and I thought it’d be a good place to come and make sure I’m still doing things right.

morning folks, I’ve been an electrician for over 20 years in the RAF working on generators and associated equipment used to maintain aircraft. Essentially if it didn’t fly with the aircraft I fixed it. Alongside that I regularly set up Temporary Electrical Installations for various uses from accommodation tents, working environments and entertainment. This second part required 17th edition knowledge skills as well as Inspect and Test. There was no legal requirement to hold 2391 so we were trained to the standard (by a lecturer who also taught in the local college) including completion of a past paper that he marked.

I’m here because I left the RAF this year and I thought it’d be a good place to come and make sure I’m still doing things right.
Welcome to the Madhouse Mate, I'm sure you will get all the answers you require, good luck

Hi and welcome! So what are you going to do in civvy street then? Sounds like you are all there electrical wise and have suitable transferable skills. If it is domestic you should find that a fairly smooth route.

Hi & welcome. :)

Boing 89 are you an Albion fan. I know specifically 2 gen techs from the raf that had the disappointment of being an Albion fan alongside myself.
I was a Gen Tech E and can think of at least one guy who was a massive Albion fan but his name escapes me right now. He also did a huge amount with the church if that helps you identify him.

Welcome. Unfortunately this isn’t a five star hotel and Tel has already emptied the minibar. We will send a man along shortly to collect your bags and show you to your accommodations that are befitting of the most discerning crab...

Regards a disgruntled ex-pongo...

Welcome aboard, the mods will love you, we will advice you to look at your core qualifications, we are not trying to be insulting just saying the 17th and test and inspect is not enough to be conciderd a spark in Civvy street, have you got any other qualifications?

Welcome aboard, the mods will love you, we will advice you to look at your core qualifications, we are not trying to be insulting just saying the 17th and test and inspect is not enough to be conciderd a spark in Civvy street, have you got any other qualifications?
He will have weapons handling first aid
And drinking ---- from a whiskey tumbler... do they count?

My background is more machine maintenance than anything else and it’s what I’ve continued to do. It’s probably too big a leap at this stage to start as a conventional spark. I’ll do stuff round about my own house but I wouldn’t try and earn from it.

My background is more machine maintenance than anything else and it’s what I’ve continued to do. It’s probably too big a leap at this stage to start as a conventional spark. I’ll do stuff round about my own house but I wouldn’t try and earn from it.

Don't be modest mate, if you're servicing electrical equipment such as wind turbine lifts, you understand the control and power side of that, and are effective in keeping them running then you have a lot more electrical understanding than many more qualified "sparks" already!

Reply to A little about me and what I’ve done in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back