Discuss A little help for a new trainee!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DrewGil

-
Trainee
Reaction score
hi guys, I'm having trouble understanding a question in my course book.
"State the current ratings of the following ring final circuit components and accessories."
1. circuit protective device
2. socket outlet
3. fused connection unit

As I understand it, a final ring is on a 30amp circuit(domestic CU) so sockets outlets should be 13 Amp. But circuit protective device and fused connection units all depend on what they are being connected to as I understand it.
I would have posted this in the trainee section, but I don't have access yet. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd say you got it right for the fused connection unit. Depends on the connected equipment. Max 13A, but could be 5A or 3A
Read over the section again. Does it perhaps mention what the connected equipment is?

I'd say you got it right for the fused connection unit. Depends on the connected equipment. Max 13A, but could be 5A or 3A
Read over the section again. Does it perhaps mention what the connected equipment is?
hi littlespark, that's the complete question I posted, no mention of anything that's connected to it, hence the confusion. or maybe that's the point of the question to realise that. Thanx for the response.

I agree not very clear what they want.
A ring final circuit is protected by a circuit protective device of 30A or 32A rating as defined in BS7671.
A single socket outlet is rated to carry 13A, a double socket outlet is rated to carry 20A (based on the testing for overload, a 13A load in one socket and a 7A load in the other socket).
A fused connection unit is rated to carry 13A, the fuse size is immaterial the FCU itself is rated to carry the load current of the highest fuse usable.
I think they are aiming for the designed current rating of the equipment similarly to a 100A main switch which may only be connected to a 30A load, the switch is still rated to 100A.

I agree not very clear what they want.
A ring final circuit is protected by a circuit protective device of 30A or 32A rating as defined in BS7671.
A single socket outlet is rated to carry 13A, a double socket outlet is rated to carry 20A (based on the testing for overload, a 13A load in one socket and a 7A load in the other socket).
A fused connection unit is rated to carry 13A, the fuse size is immaterial the FCU itself is rated to carry the load current of the highest fuse usable.
I think they are aiming for the designed current rating of the equipment similarly to a 100A main switch which may only be connected to a 30A load, the switch is still rated to 100A.[/QUOTE
Thanx Richard, appreciate the response

Reply to A little help for a new trainee!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net