Discuss a poser for trainees/ apprentices in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
OK, just a little lighting fault for the learners among us to ponder on.

standard 2 way switching, 1 light. 3 core from sw1 to sw2, and switch wire from light in L1 and L2 of sw1.

job was to fit intermediate switch for customer's convenience.

removed 3 core from sw1 and diverted to intermediate switch, then new length of 3 core to sw2.

powered up and light on permanently, slight flicker when operating any one of the switches.

clue: the fault was of my own making, took 10mins to find, and would not have happened before 2006.

let the young 'uns have a crack before the experts try.

2006 so im guessing something to do with cable harmonization, im guessing you connected the link from common wrong?

new colours were out before 2006, i remember using harmonized colours in 2004 however the old colours were allowed to be used up until 2006, so still could have happened

im assuming you have a red and black switch wire and a C terminal not L3?

Exactly same as me, ive seen all variations, i was shown Red/Brown to be common and will pass that on to future trainees

I dont suppose it really matters as long as its sleeved accordingly, however i see it as if you were wiring a one way switch you would wire the red/brown into the common/top, so why change your colour just because its a 2 way?

been playing fo 20 years before that, mate.

anyway.

original wiring was yellow= common, red/black= strappers.

new 3 core in poo, black , goo.

in poor light in the passageway, the dark poo conductor got mistaken for the black. so that in 1 switch the poo went to L1, and in the other it went to common.

bloody stupid colours!!!!!!!

Well, the European directive appears to have been all browns or blacks for the phases, I think it was the UK who argued that we should have some form of colour identification since blue was common to neutral throughout the EC. which we agreed to change, eventually, back in 71.

So it appears we are luck to have any colour discrimination at all. ! and we should consider ourselves lucky that we don't live on some of the Caribbean islands where you install the colour that is in stock on the day. lol

was common practice on 2 way, to put red to red, blue to black ( sleeved) and use yellow for common. some guys, however used red as common, so it was in C. as you say, as long as it's sleeved.

edit: why should we follow mainland europe anyway? next thing is they'll be insisting we drive on the wrong side of the road.

a poser for trainees/ apprentices {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:

Reply to a poser for trainees/ apprentices in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock