Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Popped round to my daughter's place after work today and found the health visitor there to see how my grandson is getting on, she was very pleased with his development but asked my daughter why she had no socket covers since she advised her last time to get some.
I started on about this campaign and how dangerous these things can be but it was like talking to a wall. She is absolutely convinced that every home with a toddler should have them and that it's tantamount to neglect not to. She wasn't too impressed when I pointed out the likelyhood of her knowing more about electrical accessories than me was nil.
If young parents are being told this by someone supposedly in the know then is it any wonder that they're still on sale so the health visitors are going to get an email from me.

Health visitors and social workers can't stand them from when I did a lot of work for a local health authority and was in their offices doing some repairs and they were talking about some of their patients like they were $$$$$ $$$$ (fill in the blanks as you see fit) they also seem to believe they are a higher form of life

This is an excellent post, I had been telling anyone I came across using these; to remove them as I had seen a report in my local newspaper about a three year old that had done just this and ended up in A&E, I kept the article in my wallet to show people who had doubts as lay people do.

This is an excellent post, I had been telling anyone I came across using these; to remove them as I had seen a report in my local newspaper about a three year old that had done just this and ended up in A&E, I kept the article in my wallet to show people who had doubts as lay people do.

Thank you William, can you please provide further details? A date would be very helpful, and the name of the newspaper it appeared in. If you could post an image of the article that would be terrific!

I hate the things i did send a picture of a pin that had broken off in a socket leaving the exposed terminals to the ESC they told me they hadnt been aware of the problem and will be looking in to it , i shall take the socket to elex with me next week and give it to the ESC , i printed the article off the fatally floored wesite and gave it to our local community center who instantly removed them all from the sockets the ones that kept comming back that is i kept removing them and they were put back i have also sent the link to a customer of mine who insisted they were required like talking to a brick wall
hope you dont mind me using you info fatally flawed

I hate the things i did send a picture of a pin that had broken off in a socket leaving the exposed terminals to the ESC they told me they hadnt been aware of the problem and will be looking in to it , i shall take the socket to elex with me next week and give it to the ESC , i printed the article off the fatally floored wesite and gave it to our local community center who instantly removed them all from the sockets the ones that kept comming back that is i kept removing them and they were put back i have also sent the link to a customer of mine who insisted they were required like talking to a brick wall
hope you dont mind me using you info fatally flawed

Thank you Nick, that is the sort of thing which should make a difference! The ESC has heard from FatallyFlawed many times. They are inconsistent on the subject of the dangers of mis-fitting plug-in devices. 3 Years ago, about a year after the FatallyFlawed campaign started, ESC issued a press release which claims that there is no evidence of danger caused by socket covers, and yet they have also published the “ELECTRICAL CHARGERS – buyer’s guide” which states: “If the charger does not easily plug into a socket, the pins may be the wrong size or length, or the distance between the pins may be wrong. If pins do not fit properly into the socket, overheating, arcing and mechanical damage can occur to both the socket and the charger, which can be dangerous.” I find it difficult to understand why ESC believes that incorrectly fitting chargers are a problem, but incorrectly fitting socket covers are not! I am sure that the ESC would like to hear from more Electricians who understand that there is a real problem here!!

Never did bother to to fit socket covers when my kids were young, thought they were a total waste of money and now, as it turns out, I find that they could also have been very dangerous.
Thanks for bringing this to light Tony.

Just ensure you pass the message on to your children, you will be a grand father one day!

God help you!

In late 2010 Clippasafe modified their socket cover (also sold as Boots and John Lewis brands). Having denied their product was unsafe, they modified to remove a couple of the specific problems, they made it no longer possible to poke a pin through the hole in the cover, and they lengthened the dummy L and N pins to stop the "pop out" effect.
A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign Clippasafe_new_detail - EletriciansForums.net
But at the same time they messed with the dummy earth and introduced new problems. Clippasafe have no concept of how to design something which can be safely inserted into a UK socket! It is very important that all of the pins should be the correct size and shape, this “earth pin” completely fails to meet that requirement.

Here are some examples of reviews of the new version on Amazon:
"The top prong is tapered at the top, therefore when trying to insert them into the socket they will not go into the socket."
"I bought these for a toddler group and had to throw them out. They needed a hammer to put into sockets and very difficult to remove. A total waste of money."
"At first I was disappointed because I couldn't fit them into the socket outlets, it was to hard. I gave them another try and it finally fit, pushing strongly." This comment is the most telling, what did that strong push do? It may have damaged the shutter mechanism so that the shutters were left permanently open and ineffective! Or, as shown below, it may have damaged the earth contact itself.

A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign PinDetail - EletriciansForums.net A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign DamageDetail - EletriciansForums.net

The pictures on the left show an earth pin contact from a common type of socket, this is a Marbo from B&Q, but the older MK style is also like this, as a Duraplug multi-way adaptor. The contact is visible at the face of the socket and relies on the shape of the earth pin to allow it to enter. You can clearly see that the end of the real earth pin is shaped to fit, BS 1363 requires that the tip of the earth pin must be no more than 2mm wide, sockets are designed with the space between the empty contacts about 3mm. Compare this to the tip of the Clippasafe pin which is the full 4mm width of the pin, you can see that this cannot possibly fit! An adult who forces in a cover like this can cause real damage, as shown in the other pictures.

The first picture is a close-up of the same contacts, they are equally spaced in the earth pin hole, and the shutter opening device sits between them. The Clippasafe cover was then pushed hard into the socket and bent the contacts! You can see this in the centre picture, the left hand contact is now lower (and further back) than it was, the right hand contact is even more out of place. The third picture is the same view as the centre one, but with the back of the socket removed to allow it to be lit from the rear for a clearer picture. This socket is now damaged beyond safe use, the contacts have been bent so badly that a real earth pin will no longer fit! It would have to be replaced, and all due to the complete incompetence of the Clippasafe designer who did not bother to find out about the correct size and shape!!!

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has found such damged sockets.

Hi I,m new to the site and have just read the fatally flawed campain, good grief I had no idea.
WHY are they still being sold by reputable shops?
They should be banned immediatly

What if scare tactics of potential hazards especially concerning children usually go along with a preventative product with a huge marketing campaign.
A simple, logical, thought out and reasoning assessment of these tactics however needs support.
thank you for drawing my attention to such a blindingly obvious problem.

You can count me in FF, never actually thought about it but its quite obvious. I've just had them banned from all Travel lodges in Derbyshire after referring managers to the link you posted. Well done on the research.

E mailed my local Nursery,(well and well known national compnay) as i saw them in there when dropping my little on off, here is the reply

Dear Mr Crow
Thank you for your recent email raising concerns about socket covers that has been forwarded for my attention.
Prior to your email I was aware that some concern had been raised about the use of socket covers, however as these have been recommended for use in settings for a number of years by the regulators and the fact that the Institution of Engineering and Technology admit there are no cases of any children being harmed by socket covers. We have not to date taken the decision to have them removed from our settings, however I am in the process of preparing a paper for consideration at the next Exec meeting in July.
We have a number of settings some with sockets located above dado height others with them at floor level and we must consider the potential of harm. At the moment I would consider appliances left plugged in to be of a higher risk category than socket covers inserted correctly.
I will include in my paper your concerns.
If you have any further comments they would be welcome.

I advise people to bin these things and point them to the site.
The really annoying thing is that the people who buy them are doing it for the right reasons and I cant fault joe public for buying them.
The people who are selling them should know better and are ultimately responsible.

It would be interesting to know how may accidents these socket covers are claiming to prevent, if any, and what the overall effect is. I.E. do they cause more accidents than they prevent.

Last edited:

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock