• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss A rock and a hard place, how to train later in life? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Kraig

-
Reaction score
Hi

I have a load of questions about training, this seemed like a good place to ask.

I'm thinking of dumping my current career. Having completed a house renovation it turns out I quite like electrics. The problem is as far as I can tell if you want a proper career as an electrician you have to start at the bottom, with an apprenticeship, which pays peanuts. Now I'm hardly Johnny big bucks earning about 30k a year but there is no way I can support my family on apprenticeship money so that is pretty much out.

Form what I have read I have a few options

A/

Do one of those 4 week courses that will give me all the paperwork I need to advertise myself as a self employed domestic installer.

That is all I could do but if I'm honest self employed domestic installation is what I was looking for anyway. I'm working on the theory that once I get started I can add to my training and knowledge and that there is going to be bucket loads of domestic work as electric cars and solar panels and all that takes off. If I can find enough local work to keep me busy most days I figure I should be able to earn similar to what I earn now. Does that sound realistic?

This route allows me to build up a local reputation (hopefully good) by taking on smaller jobs whilst maintaining my current employment; until I was in a position to take the plunge and chuck my job in for only a smallish investment.

B/

Do a 2365 part time. Level 2 & 3 together will take 4 years and cost a lot of money. I then still need to do a NVQ lv3 and pass a AM2 test and this is generally done as part of an apprenticeship.

The advantage of this is that it seems to give real options. The disadvantage is it takes ages and I would need to stay in other employment for this time.

Is there anyway to get the NVQ and AM2 whilst maintaining a fulltime job in a different industry or basically without having to earn apprentice money? How long should this bit take?

and lastly a few more questions

What is JIB anyway and what is NICEIC and are they the same thing.
Are there any other routes into the profession?

Thanks for any advice.

the 2 options you have detailed are basically the only ones. if you want to move into industrial electrics, then you need to do B, get NVQ and a JIB card. if, however you only want to work in the domestic sector, A is the answer. contact forum sponsor "trade skills". you willnot be a qualified electrician, but a "domestic installer". then you can join niceic or one of the other scams .

Hi

I have a load of questions about training, this seemed like a good place to ask.

I'm thinking of dumping my current career. Having completed a house renovation it turns out I quite like electrics. The problem is as far as I can tell if you want a proper career as an electrician you have to start at the bottom, with an apprenticeship, which pays peanuts. Now I'm hardly Johnny big bucks earning about 30k a year but there is no way I can support my family on apprenticeship money so that is pretty much out.

Form what I have read I have a few options

A/

Do one of those 4 week courses that will give me all the paperwork I need to advertise myself as a self employed domestic installer.

That is all I could do but if I'm honest self employed domestic installation is what I was looking for anyway. I'm working on the theory that once I get started I can add to my training and knowledge and that there is going to be bucket loads of domestic work as electric cars and solar panels and all that takes off. If I can find enough local work to keep me busy most days I figure I should be able to earn similar to what I earn now. Does that sound realistic?

This route allows me to build up a local reputation (hopefully good) by taking on smaller jobs whilst maintaining my current employment; until I was in a position to take the plunge and chuck my job in for only a smallish investment.

B/

Do a 2365 part time. Level 2 & 3 together will take 4 years and cost a lot of money. I then still need to do a NVQ lv3 and pass a AM2 test and this is generally done as part of an apprenticeship.

The advantage of this is that it seems to give real options. The disadvantage is it takes ages and I would need to stay in other employment for this time.

Is there anyway to get the NVQ and AM2 whilst maintaining a fulltime job in a different industry or basically without having to earn apprentice money? How long should this bit take?

and lastly a few more questions

What is JIB anyway and what is NICEIC and are they the same thing.
Are there any other routes into the profession?

Thanks for any advice.

Take a look at this link read and ponder carefully
Morris Services - Getting Started - http://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp
Having done that, if you think a four week course will a: prepare you for even domestic wiring or b: qualify you for a competent person scheme it will have to fit in with the schema above in the link. I advise you there are loads of people out there who are deeply upset having done such a course as you mention paying some £ks then finding out they are not even remotely able to be considered in any sphere as an acceptable industry standard electrician.
Now I do not want to rain on your parade but it is best you take the above into consideration before investing to avoid extreme disappointment. In essence of you want to do domestic you will do a C&G 2397. A forty-four week course costing £6-7k. You will try to get work as a skivvy labourer or mate if you are fortunate while training.
Good luck with your plans by the way.

Hi Kraig, you'll find that the short route to qualification gets poor reaction on this forum. At 26 you'll find it hand but not impossible to get an apprenticeship. I worked with one guy of about 24, think he was, that paid for an apprenticeship himself, whilst subbying for a local company, gaining experience along the way. For this you might need to restrict yourself to whatever that company does.

Self employed is another whole experience. If you in it for the long haul, you could perhaps do night school (or whatever its called now) and work at weekends for someone; know some guys do it for free :eek:

There are some on this forum that have had a career change, at a much older age, so it is possible, if you are determined for a change.

So forget us old farts that poke fun :)

gerroff it pete, yous be good for asnother 10 yraes yet. hope i am.

pete, age is just a number.

A rock and a hard place, how to train later in life? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

me? 70 going on 21.

pete. we're all on a contdown. make the most of what's left.

a drop of good beer or red wine should be promoted by them quacks that want us to have flu jabs and such. like the dog food PAL.prolongs active life. all beer should come with that on the label as a government health promotion. alonf with the tax we all pay, could be said we're drinking for Britain.

:D:D:D:D
I aint even got the strength to wri.......
you wimp. please leave the kitchen if toy u caiaint sratand the heat. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

xzcus ethe brad shellings, 4 pints olp deciuilier and sa few shotts of flamus grouuse.

wft append to schepell chek?

Reply to A rock and a hard place, how to train later in life? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back