Discuss A3 radial circuit ???? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Im currently training as an electrician through ATL but i have actually been to college and done my level 1 and 2, plus had on site experience to a cirtain degree.

my friend has asked me to put a new circuit from the consumer unit to his loft as he is converting it, he wants 2 socket outlets to supply 4 lights at 600w.
my question is :
what is the best way to go about the installation? ,from what ive learnt and done in the past id use an A3 radial circuit using 2.5mm twin and earth with a 20a mcb

i was wondering have i got it right or far from it ?

thanks

Four lights at 600w? Do you mean 60w each, 600w each, or 600w total???

If you're coming from the consumer unit why not run 2.5mm for sockets, and a 1.5mm for the lights.

Socket outlets to supply lights? Or socket outlets plus lights (which makes more sense)? 600w of lights in a loft? Is it a big loft? Sorry to answer with a question.

By the way, I see this is your first post....maybe a hello would be nice!!

no i do mean 600w each, 2,400w in total i have done the calculation and current carrying capacity is 10.4347 amps

sorry i should of been more clear, theres no lighting circuit its just for the socket outlets ,

and hii all :)

As you quite rightly calculate that 4 x 600w would equate to over 10 amps so putting that on the end of a radial with sockets would NOT be the way to go.

Looks like you need 1 x radial for the sockets and 1 x radial for the lights - both 2.5mm and 16a breakers (or you could go to 20A depening on the cable routing).

And as new circuits its notifiable and does the house have RCD's and bonding in place?

Im currently training as an electrician through ATL but i have actually been to college and done my level 1 and 2, plus had on site experience to a cirtain degree.

my friend has asked me to put a new circuit from the consumer unit to his loft as he is converting it, he wants 2 socket outlets to supply 4 lights at 600w.
my question is :
what is the best way to go about the installation? ,from what ive learnt and done in the past id use an A3 radial circuit using 2.5mm twin and earth with a 20a mcb

i was wondering have i got it right or far from it ?

thanks

I thought the apprenticeships were through JTL not ATL?

what i have known people to do is run a 2/3 sub-board(6mm t/e) with a timer breaker in for the lights then you can take somewhere else when finished

As you quite rightly calculate that 4 x 600w would equate to over 10 amps so putting that on the end of a radial with sockets would NOT be the way to go.

Looks like you need 1 x radial for the sockets and 1 x radial for the lights - both 2.5mm and 16a breakers (or you could go to 20A depening on the cable routing).

And as new circuits its notifiable and does the house have RCD's and bonding in place?

cheers mate , theres no radial circuit for the lights , its just 1 radial circuit for the socket outlests for plug in lights , the cable run is pretty straight forward , straight up from the downstaires C/U to the loft in trunking.

He does have a socket on the staires directly under the loft on a ring main, could i branch off that by any chance without installing a new circuit ?????

cheers mate , theres no radial circuit for the lights , its just 1 radial circuit for the socket outlests for plug in lights , the cable run is pretty straight forward , straight up from the downstaires C/U to the loft in trunking.

He does have a socket on the staires directly under the loft on a ring main, could i branch off that by any chance without installing a new circuit ?????

Hum, maybe, how familiar are you with rings, radials and spurs?

Reply to A3 radial circuit ???? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock