Discuss Access 2 Trade Careers Closing Down in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard through the grape vine that Access2 Trade Careers are closing down.

So please do try to get your money back if they have some of yours. And please do NOT book with them if you haven't done so already.

So please do try to get your money back if they have some of yours. And please do NOT book with them if you haven't done so already.

They do have some of my money! Unfortunately Barclays have paid them and I now owe on a Barclays loan. I received no notification of insolvency but my freind who's also on the course did by email and contacted me. On checking the website there's a 4 line announcement which is a disgracefully small amount of info when you're still paying out for a large loan.

Up until now they've given me a high quality of training and had a great and very busy training centre so I can't quite see what went wrong. I'll call them tomorrow for some info but I can't imagine I'll have much luck getting through.

Does anyone know what rights we have now as far as claiming anything back goes? I was lucky enough to have completed my 2392 and 2382 recently and providing they sent off for my certificates it's not a complete disaster. My freind wasn't so lucky.

Will the collapse of my training company reflect badly if I tell prospective employers do you think?

Hi

My first post but only to say your right.

Just got an email to say the courses are off at Access2trade are no longer operating

Darren

belive it or not in the eyes of consumer law the loan company is responsible as much as the training provider for providing the course, ring the loan comany and tell them the goods/services they are financing have not been provided and that you are now refusing to pay them the balance.

BARCLAYS will **** them self! however to make sure you go in there with correct wording etc etc vistit your local Citizens advice or speak to a solicitor who deals with that type of stuff in one of there 1h consultations..! you will also be able to claim back any monies paid!!

:)

if you paid via a credit card or visa debit you also can "charge back the client" as you not recieved goods/services..

steve

have a look at this link!!

Consumer Direct - Bought on credit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Durham Spark - great advice........ Your loan company has to provide you with training services and you do have some protection with them.

no letter just a small email in my jank box, have faully paid of loan with barcleys but still have to exams to go so now not sure where i stand as i have worked out the 2 course cost 975 pounds. what do i do now. as still unempolyed.

Just got an email to say
It is with the very greatest regret that I have to write to you to tell you that having tried our very best we have been unable to secure ongoing funding for the company and accordingly as matters currently stand we are unable to continue to provide your training.

Arrangements are being made for an insolvency practitioner to be appointed and I am sure you will be hearing from him. No doubt you will want to discuss the position with him or an adviser.

Yours sincerely

Access2 Trade Careers

The official receiver will contact you next. If there are no assets to sell to cover the costs you will lose out on some funds. Even if they give you funds back, you might not find another course will just give you the exams at a cost. You'll need to seek new providers and then peruse the official receivers. You may be able to go to the meetings to discuss the funds if you're owed some.

Your deal is with them not Barclay's, unless otherwise stated. It's them that has failed to pay Barclay's by the sounds of it so you will need to make sure you prove and point out to the official receiver (a guy or some guys appointed to deal with the debt and company wind-up) to ensure you're expressing what you're owed or have not received and paid for.

That said, it if there is no cash (or assets, and there isn't normally much with training companies unless they own the property, and if they did, they probably would have just re-mortgaged that therefore they probably lease property) available you will NOT get money, that's for sure.

I'm sorry to hear this knowing some of the situations of such cases in the past. I hope you all get sorted out somehow.

Your deal is with them not Barclay's, unless otherwise stated. It's them that has failed to pay Barclay's by the sounds of it so you will need to make sure you prove and point out to the official receiver (a guy or some guys appointed to deal with the debt and company wind-up) to ensure you're expressing what you're owed or have not received and paid for.

sorry to correct you dan,

the customer deal is WITH barclays as much as it is with the company as they agreed to lend the money to pay for the services of access2trade, with barclays agreeing the finance and access2trade not providing the services in full the buck now rests with barclays as they have legally financed a failed product that under consumer law you can rightfully now challange and reclaim your costs, its a similar scenario with when people pay for holidays with credit cards

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/consumer_credit/oft303.pdf

so if you lost money get on to your loan company even if you have fully paid your loan and just need to sit exams as you still have not recieved your GOODS/SERVICES in full for what were been paid for by a loan

the bank will have to refund you and give you monies owed and then they become a creditor on the long list of names at the insolvency practioners list for access2trade....!!

steve

Dan you are well off the mark mate and your advice is very poor and mis leading to people!!!

You are going to scare the **** out of them- Durham Spark is bang on - Can I just say that you will find it was the rug that was pulled from access and advent training - they were a sucessful training company but the banks have once again let another good company go down the drain with alot of jobs. The company was turning out some very good well trained tradesman, just what this country needed - I think the work the tutors put in was incredible and you only have to look at other people posts to see how much they were enjoying the course and their thoughts on the level of training they were recieving, before people get on their high horse and make further derogetry remarks you should look to the finance sector which is strangling good businesses across this country. I feel for all the lads who were on the course - Stay positive I'm sure you will be fine under the consumer protection acts.

Having only signed the agreement for this on the 11/01/10 and only done a weeks worth of studying I am seriously ****ed off as I'm sure everyone else is. To maybe help paint a slightly brighter picture for those of you with a Barclays credit agreement, I have taken legal advice and been told the agreement is covered under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which places both the lender and the supplier liable. I have phoned Barclays to try and get a refund due to the ink not yet being dry on my agreement - failed on that count but they idependently stated they would try and seek an alternative training provider. The legal adviser informed me they should either do this or if unavailable or not practicable to use the alternative should refund the cash. Keep your fingers crossed everyone and if you see the slime ball that signed me up 17 days ago without telling me the company were struggling, please poke his eyes out!!!!! Chris

If you have your loan through Clydesdale Financial Services trading as Barclays partners, i have just called them on behalf of my boyfriend who is also doing a course with Acess 2 Trade Careers, they advised that they are currently looking for another company to take over the training courses. This is only if you have taken a loan out with them. If you paid outright, you need to go through the insolvency practioner. We did go into Barclays who wouldnt help us. Call up the bank where you are paying your Direct Debit from, they will tell you who the loan is with they will also give you your account number (which i think is the Direct Debit referenct number) . If it is Clydesdale the contact number for them is 0844 811 9000 if you wanted to confirm this with them.

Hope this helps

Katie :)

Citizens Advice Bureau have advised I make an immediate claim to Barclays and state you can request complete cancellation or accept an alternative provider and if result not forthcoming complain to Financial Ombudsman Service. I'm sure many other training providers will be able to sort out the relevant training needs but all will want paying for their service.

I worked for Access2 (well technically still work for as the company is in insolvency) and I am absolutly gutted, not just for me but also for the students. It was a brilliant company to work for and I am just so angry that Barclays Partner Finance has pulled the plug. How very big of them to say that they will find another training company to provide the service when it is their fault the company is in trouble! Ossie is spot on, Access 2 Trade Careers was a very successful company and the forecast for 2010 was looking very promising with new courses being planned, such as renewable energy and construction courses. From what I have heard Barclays decided to stop funding the courses leaving the company with no income until another source of funding can be found. This has been a huge shock as it has all happened in a matter of weeks. I think they are still looking for funding or a buyer for the company although I wont know anything until I hear from the insolvency practitioner. I really hope everyone can get their money back or can get training elsewhere.

Thanks for all the input so far.

However, no one has all the EXACT info as to why etc (apart from Flo), so can we keep it calm.

People can only act on the information they have either been given or found out from other sources, however reliable they are.

The only thing we can do at the moment is to wait for contact from the insolvency practitioners. It is only early days, I was only told yesterday. Best of luck everyone.

sorry to correct you dan,

the customer deal is WITH barclays as much as it is with the company as they agreed to lend the money to pay for the services of access2trade, with barclays agreeing the finance and access2trade not providing the services in full the buck now rests with barclays as they have legally financed a failed product that under consumer law you can rightfully now challange and reclaim your costs, its a similar scenario with when people pay for holidays with credit cards

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/consumer_credit/oft303.pdf

so if you lost money get on to your loan company even if you have fully paid your loan and just need to sit exams as you still have not recieved your GOODS/SERVICES in full for what were been paid for by a loan

the bank will have to refund you and give you monies owed and then they become a creditor on the long list of names at the insolvency practioners list for access2trade....!!

steve

Dan you are well off the mark mate and your advice is very poor and mis leading to people!!!

You are going to scare the **** out of them- Durham Spark is bang on - Can I just say that you will find it was the rug that was pulled from access and advent training - they were a sucessful training company but the banks have once again let another good company go down the drain with alot of jobs. The company was turning out some very good well trained tradesman, just what this country needed - I think the work the tutors put in was incredible and you only have to look at other people posts to see how much they were enjoying the course and their thoughts on the level of training they were recieving, before people get on their high horse and make further derogetry remarks you should look to the finance sector which is strangling good businesses across this country. I feel for all the lads who were on the course - Stay positive I'm sure you will be fine under the consumer protection acts.

Righte. Apologies about that then (but I don't think the financial sector comments were a good analogy!). So if the training was provided via barclay's perhaps they can transfer it to another training centre?

Okay,

It's just been on the news that advent training and access 2 trade careers has ceased trading and Barclay's issued a statements saying they will help people who have taken out the loans with them to get on other training courses.

So it looks like you're okay in this case if you took out the loan via barclay's. Anybody paying for training directly with the company may need to seek advice from a professional or the citizens advice.

Last edited:

Reply to Access 2 Trade Careers Closing Down in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock