Discuss Accessible main fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a guy who wants the main supply cable boxed in and hidden.
This will leave a problem with accessibility of the main fuse in case of emergency.

I was thinking of boxing the whole lot in but leaving a small square of wood over the
area of the main fuse that can be opened easily.
Maybe by unscrewing a couple of screws or even put a couple of small hinges and make a trap door.

I could always leave the main fuse area open and box just the cable and tails.
What do you think, how accessible is accessible?

Comments appreciated.
Thanks.

I have a guy who wants the main supply cable boxed in and hidden.
This will leave a problem with accessibility of the main fuse in case of emergency.

I was thinking of boxing the whole lot in but leaving a small square of wood over the
area of the main fuse that can be opened easily.
Maybe by unscrewing a couple of screws or even put a couple of small hinges and make a trap door.

I could always leave the main fuse area open and box just the cable and tails.
What do you think, how accessible is accessible?

Comments appreciated.
Thanks.

Do what you would want to find if you were the next spark there:)

what about a removable boxing in

as this was what my mrs mother wanted and her builder son as it was in lounge
the old one was a small meter cupboard to small for new CCU
they didnt want the CCU on show for obvoius reasons and just wanted to completly box in fixed
which I told them they couldnt as it wouldnt be accessible in case of emergency or something tripping

so we agreed on a larger box which jsut had 2 sides and top and the whole lot lifts out to give access to equipment
they couldnt remove the old boxing in as the meter and cut out was fixed to this and the gas meter on the opposite side in the hall

Nice idea.

Maybe a removable front cover.
Box the lot in but have the front on clips so you just pull the front cover and it unclips.

I know it's not ideal but it's what the guy wants and he is the customer after all.

i would`v thought the obvious would apply here...
theres no way that a service head should not be accessable.....
how you go about making it so whilst keeping the client happy is your concern...
but just boxing it in without any future access is a no no....

Reply to Accessible main fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net