Discuss Accessible or inaccessible? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is a joint box below a wooden floor with a fitted carpet classed as accessible or inaccessible?
in my book weather you put a j/b or mf box under floor boards it is accessible at that time .providing you have marked the floor boards and tell the customer .and is down to the customer having going to put carpet down later.
the muppets make up wright the regs .its like the book of bull s**t the bible.

in my book weather you put a j/b or mf box under floor boards it is accessible providing
you have marked the floor boards and tell the customer .and is down to the customer having going to put carpet down later.

/QUOTE]

no its not accessible ...................... if its MF its OK, if its a screw type it not OK

yet every day we come across round brown screw terminal boxes that have been there since napoleon , and still as tight as the day they were fitted.

Yep...and most installed correctly by qualified sparks on top of their job. What's the problem with that?
We know why this mf box business has all come about...and ,to me, it won't make the slightest difference. Those installing faulty, insecure or underrated screw jb's will just carry on doing it anyway.
Just last month I found a new boiler supply jointed badly to a rfc with a 20amp 4 pole jb by a heating 'engineer' dipstick.

in my book weather you put a j/b or mf box under floor boards it is accessible at that time .providing you have marked the floor boards and tell the customer .and is down to the customer having going to put carpet down later.
Your posts are usually illegible and I normally don't care but rewrite this bit actually trying to make sense - just for me, please. (I'm on the defensive of the Holy word - it's my job)

Your posts are usually illegible and I normally don't care but rewrite this bit actually trying to make sense - just for me, please. (I'm on the defensive of the Holy word - it's my job)
is it the bible ,book of bull s**t you can not get your head around or the REGS.

is it the bible ,book of bull s**t you can not get your head around !
Yeh, not helping!
You could rephrase it - "is it like the Bible, the book so full of wisdom that I haven't been anointed to understand it but with the Great Creators Grace, I may be able to - unlike the BS7671 thAt is, which remains a mystery!"

Thought so - I love you Buzz (that's also my job!)

I'm not sure the people who write the regs are really muppets. The regs have flaws, I grant you, and like all standards are incomplete and always will be. But it is a massive challenge to write, in one book, a standard that covers every single situation, device, risk, method and safety feature found in electrical work throughout the country. You could write a whole book just on accessibility for maintenance. They have to deal with conflicting demands from different interested parties - legislators, manufacturers, electricians, architects - and come up with a compromise. Would you rather they left room for manoeuvre or dictated everything? 'Make nice joints' is too vague, 'The box shall be secured to the joist with two 3.5x25 gold-passivated countersunk woodscrews 20 +/-2mm above the plasterboard' is too prescriptive. Somewhere they have to find a balance, and in doing so they get called muppets...

My version is that if damage to decor or fitments might result or significant making-good is required after access, or it takes much longer to access than to check/correct the fault itself, then it's not accessible. I don't fit carpets, and I don't want to have to call a carpet fitter to refit a valuable carpet properly after I've gone poking around under it for a disconnect. Thankfully I don't touch domestics.

I also agree that a craftsman can make a sound, permanent, maintenance-free joint with a good quality screw terminal box, but given that either or both parts of that equation might be lacking...

I also agree that a craftsman can make a sound, permanent, maintenance-free joint with a good quality screw terminal box, but given that either or both parts of that equation might be lacking...

Well said Lucien. It works both way, though.
This was a rfc, wired in pyro with neutrals extended, in a Schneider 12 way 3 phase board, following upgrade to rcbo's .
Accessible or inaccessible? IMG_0845.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Accessible or inaccessible? IMG_0859.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Given a choice between a screw or push fit connection,whether the joint was under a floorboard or not,I would not use a push fit connector

I know nothing of them only through very limited use,however,via the little I have experienced,I have found there is no way I would be content to have a joint I made constructed with those connectors
If I used a screw connection I would be much more confident of its suitability and its performance

Given a choice between a screw or push fit connection,whether the joint was under a floorboard or not,I would not use a push fit connector

I know nothing of them only through very limited use,however,via the little I have experienced,I have found there is no way I would be content to have a joint I made constructed with those connectors
If I used a screw connection I would be much more confident of its suitability and its performance
I like the lever connectors and have used them. They are especially handy during fault finding...but I can't see them being a more solid connection than a properly fitted brass/copper/brass screw connector.

yes but Electrical Trainee can push a wire in even if they can't tighten a screw properly. all part of the dumbing down. by the 21st edition, monkeys will be able to be electricians.

The industry must be preparing early by the payment of peanuts!
yes but Electrical Trainee can push a wire in even if they can't tighten a screw properly. all part of the dumbing down. by the 21st edition, monkeys will be able to be electricians.

Yep....and robots doing all the fault finding

Reply to Accessible or inaccessible? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock