Discuss Accident chopped off the grey wire in a 3 core. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Friends,

Whilst helping a friend with the 2nd fix on a job, I've accidentally sliced off the grey conductor in a 3-core cable like a total --------. What now?

Can I reconnect it using a wago connector? Or is that going against the regs?

Someone help!

ZippyMo

TraineeSpark and sausage for not paying full attention to what he was doing.

Stripping back using the cpc - you then have to count the conductors before you cut the sheath - he didn’t!
I did it once on a 3 core and earth but had plenty in the cavity stud wall - I always remember that moment when I’m second fixing and cutting the sheath!

I don't see it, when cutting back what any method, the sheathing will be floppy, if a conductor is still stuck in, it will still be rigid. YES/ NO, however never made that mistake. lol

Lol I've done it, second fixing in a mad rush. Would likely have noticed if it was the old colours. The cable was rather rubbish at the time and the outer sheath thicker and more rigid than it should have been.

Well that was my excuse.

I bet their was a few choice words being shouted at you.

Some t&e or 3 core can be a mess. The sheath brittle and basically stuck to the inner insulation. I can see how easy it is to miss a grey core within a grey outer sheath.

If there’s no room for a WAGO, or don’t have a line splice as suggested, just use a small choc block connector. It’s not in an inaccessible location.

I bet their was a few choice words being shouted at you.

Some t&e or 3 core can be a mess. The sheath brittle and basically stuck to the inner insulation. I can see how easy it is to miss a grey core within a grey outer sheath.

If there’s no room for a WAGO, or don’t have a line splice as suggested, just use a small choc block connector. It’s not in an inaccessible location.
Lol...no words were shouted at me as I haven't told anyone yet...lool!
But its good to know how easily the mistake can be made.

I don't see it, when cutting back what any method, the sheathing will be floppy, if a conductor is still stuck in, it will still be rigid. YES/ NO, however never made that mistake. lol
Its easy done if you are just going through the motions so to speak, especially if its 1mm. I've never done it but been close a couple of times. A few of my apprentices have done it over the years since the colour change.

Reply to Accident chopped off the grey wire in a 3 core. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock