Discuss Accreditation of installations > 50 kWp in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

proVoltic.coop

G59/2 by the Energy Networks Association states that in order to be eligible for the FiT MCS installers must be used for installations with a capacity of less than 50 kWp.

Does that mean that for installations > 50 kWp MCS installers must not be used at all?

G59/2 says that accreditation through Ofgem's Renewable and DHP register must be applied for for installations > 50 kWp. Does anyone have some experience with that?

Thank you!

What it means is that MCS is required for installations <50kWp. Installations larger than this are not covered by the MCS - although this obviously doesn't mean that MCS installers cannot install larger systems :)

I wasn't aware of any accreditation required for systems <50kWP to be honest. I know that <50kWp comes under ROOFIT but I'm sure this is just for FIT purposes.

Thank you! What is "ROOFIT", though? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

So, for large installations I do not need MCS installers, i.e. anyone can set up large installations and claim FiT? That seems too simple..?

I forget what it stands for.... something like Renewable Obligation Order.....

As I understand it, that is correct - >50kw system are outside of the MCS so MCS installers are not required.

ROO-FIT is described on this page - Applying for the Feed-in Tariff

• Installations which are between 50kW and 5MW (or all anaerobic digestion up to 5MW) need to apply for accreditation through the ROO-FIT process via Ofgem’s Renewable & CHP Register. Further guidance on the ROO-FIT process is available in the RO: Guidance for Generators. Upon gaining the ROO-FIT accreditation, generators are required to contact a FIT Licensee with their ROO-FIT details.

"Accreditation" here just means the owner has to register the system with OFGEM. This is different to the meaning of "accreditation" when talking about <50kW systems and MCS (where products and installers have to go through a process in order to be recognised as being worthy of FiT payments). That's just an extra bit of confusion that OFGEM like to throw in to keep everyone on their toes.

There are a few extra things to watch out for with >50kW systems.

1. G59/2 grid connection standards apply - this will cost ££.
2. System owner will be asked to pay for grid reinforcement costs - if there are any. This can cost £££.
3. The electricity supplier may require a half-hourly export meter to be fitted - this will cost £.
4. You still need an accredited total generation meter - costs £.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not as far as the ROO-FIT part is concerned. This is not much different to the process everyone used to have to go through in order to register for ROCs - before FiTs came along. Nothing too complicated about it (unless you are talking about biomass systems).

All of the G59/2 issues apply to any system >3.68kW (single phase) or >11kW (3-phase) in any case, without DNO dispensation. The export meter only becomes an issue at > 30kW.

How does that affect cumulative installations? Do they count as individual installations if they are 12 months apart? We have a customer with the potential for 98kwp but cash for about a 33% of it at the minute. They want to add to it over the next 3 years so would it be MCS or Roofit at the second stage?

If you installed 3 x 33kWp with the second and third each being installed at least 12 months after the Confirmation Date (date registered by OFGEM on the Central FiTs Register) of the preceding one then they would be treated as separate - with each getting 25 years from commissioning date. As you wouldn't cross any tariff boundaries (all would be within the 10 - 100 kW range - assuming this isn't changed as part of the current FiTs review) then the same rate would apply to each.

I'm guessing that each would be registered through MCS - as they would be treated as 3 separate 33kWp systems - but I will check with OFGEM on that. This would be different if they were installed with a gap of less than 12 months.

Hi,
I read the guidance for Generators provided by Ofgem, but there is a point i did not get. For an installation of 100 kW, at which stage can i have a guaranted tarrif? Is it when commissioning is done (and ROO FIT application already done) ?

yves,

The rules are simple it is down to the eligibility date, which if you are going down the roo-fit roof I am sure that you are fully aware off, or at least your project manager flipping well ought to be! - It is THE most important date that we have been pointing out to our customers re teh 1st August cut-off date.

From the rules:

The Eligibility Date is defined as the later of the following dates:
a) A FIT supplier received a written request for FIT registration,
b) Ofgem received a request for ROO-FIT accreditation, or
c) The commissioning date of the installation
For example, if the installation had commissioned on 1 September 2010 and the application for FIT was received on 15 September 2010 by the FIT Licensee, the correct Eligibility Date for that installation is 15 September 2010. Electricity produced and exported prior to this date is not eligible for FIT payments.

Our pdf which we issue to our customers to explain it is attached. View attachment OFGEM-FITorROO-FIT_WorcesterRenewables_Ltd.pdf
View attachment OFGEM-FITorROO-FIT_WorcesterRenewables_Ltd.pdfView attachment OFGEM-FITorROO-FIT_WorcesterRenewables_Ltd.pdf

Thanks a lot for these information
I'm aware of the 1st august cut-off date, if the installation is commissioned before this date it will be eligible for current FITs right ?

Not nescessarily, you need to have submitted a valid application via the Renweables and CHP Register.
And the DNO has signed it off - they witness our commissioning sessions, nominal charge, easy to work with.

Whats the exact process for getting the eligibility date, I know its the latter of the three points-
i) accreditation from Ofgem (or preliminary accreditation)
ii) commissioning
iii) receipt by the FIT supplier of agreed terms from the FIT licensee

My question is more does the site have to be connected to the grid, can the commissioning be done just not connected to grid (the DNO is worrying me they are stacked out and I'm worried they wont get there). Do the DNO's allow commissioning tests to be done via an approved contractor thus negating the witness test? I know that EON West were offering this.

We have preliminary accreditation, the site is under construction and will be ready for commissioning second week in July.

I just dont know if the Supplier will want to see witness test results in order to give a FIT agreement rather than just commissioning sheets?

Reply to Accreditation of installations > 50 kWp in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net