Discuss Acorn 180 stairlift - Problem. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning I'm Italian I have a problem with this stairlift, it has completely shut down and I managed to bring it manually to the charging point only that now does not go down anymore, probably it should be programmed know the procedure?
The electronic board has no switch is the T565 model. This is link of the pcb board:

Acorn 180 T565 PCB Board from working Stairlift | eBay - https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Acorn-180-T565-PCB-Board-from-working-Stairlift/302915135573?hash=item4687262855:g:FI0AAOSw8MZbvNyO

Is there anyone in your area that could service it for you and diagnose the problem - just because it has a circuit board will not mean that it is the problem. It could be a number of safety features such as position switches and micro switches that manually have to actuate to allow the thing to move - you’ll end up throwing money at it in what could be an easy fix.
Try researching that first.
Welcome to the UK forum by the way.

Good morning I'm Italian I have a problem with this stairlift, it has completely shut down and I managed to bring it manually to the charging point only that now does not go down anymore, probably it should be programmed know the procedure?
The electronic board has no switch is the T565 model. This is link of the pcb board:

Acorn 180 T565 PCB Board from working Stairlift | eBay - https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Acorn-180-T565-PCB-Board-from-working-Stairlift/302915135573?hash=item4687262855:g:FI0AAOSw8MZbvNyO
How long has the lift been installed and was it installed by a local contractor? if the answer to the last question is yes, then wouldn't it be best to employ a local firm to quote for repairs as opposed to buying spares from the internet in hope, rather than good judgement.

first thing is to power it down, both mains and disconnect 1 of the battery terminals. wait a few minutes( during which time you can check the battery voltage) then power up again. sometimes these lifts lock out.

Thanks for the answers, the technician in my area does not have to come from far away, I just wanted to know if maybe there was a reset procedure that I could do alone.

I have already tried to switch off and disconnect the batteries for a while but the problem persists, in practice the stairlift has memorized the position where it was locked and stops there.

Are you saying the lift works ok but stops at the wrong point every time?

All of the lifts I have worked on have had moveable blocks mounted on the rail that operate micro switches on the chair to tell it where to stop. Many have 2 at each end, one to slow the chair the second to stop it.

Also check nothing is obstructing the chair and operating any emergency anti crush/trap switches around the base.

Are you saying the lift works ok but stops at the wrong point every time? All of the lifts I have worked on have had moveable blocks mounted on the rail that operate micro switches on the chair to tell it where to stop. Many have 2 at each end, one to slow the chair the second to stop it.

Also check nothing is obstructing the chair and operating any emergency anti crush/trap switches around the base.

Yes, if I move it manually you will position yourself where I am standing. In my opinion, the encoder communicates the position and it is memorized.

A reset or programming procedure would be required to allow the stairlift to reach the lower recharge point.

I think the installation manual is here. The user guide is here. Though it doesn't mention position programming, other than setting the position of a top and bottom stop ramp that operates micro switches on the chair.

What is displayed on the LED display when the chair stops? Might give an indication of the fault.

The encoders appear to be for speed/rotation sensing only from the information I can find, rather than position sensing.

After any repair, all of the safety checks in section 1.3 of the installation manual must be carried out.

Thanks, I had read those manuals, I noticed a microswitch on the back but I do not know if the problem is there. I have not noticed any other switches, but it is clear that there is a problem.

There should be 3 microswitches apparently, they all look to be shown as normally closed, a loose connection would initiate a stop.

What does the display show when it stops?

On the display shows a strange symbol that does not appear in the manual, it should show A5 when it goes down from the remote control.

Surely something happened because as I said while my grandmother was using it is blocked, it could be the batteries even if I measured the voltage and both gave about 15 volts.

When the stairlift is at the charging point, the symbol C4 appears if the batteries are low and C1 is charging.
On previous models there was a "programming" switch on this one does not exist.

The symbol for accuracy is J3, I heard the assistance and they told me that it should be reprogrammed even if according to him he had to go down slowly towards the charging point at the bottom.
The technician only for the call wants 200 € !!!! These are crazy!

Hi Ale,
I'm Fabio nice to meet you,
I'm the Quality Controller of Acorn Italy and I can help you.
Maybe you're seeing code Y3 and need a new programming.
If you want, you can contact me with post Reply or call us at number 800624301, we'll really happy to help you.

Reply to Acorn 180 stairlift - Problem. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net