Discuss adapt boxes in garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
morning guys

What do you guys normally do for a swa supply down to a garden office- where the customer doesnt want the swa viewable inside- so swa needs to be made off outside and then cores coming into the back of the consumer unit.

I know I could use a ip65 plastic box as I have fly banjo'ed at house end- but I like doing it either end

I know wiska do the banjo things for plastic wiska boxes- but don't think they do a 25mm one do they? (cable is 3core 10mm)

and the normally galv adapt boxes are not ip rated are they?

I know some people use the galv and just stick a gasket in there

what are your methods??

cheers

be bit of naff connection no? metal on plastic
Nothing wrong with terminating it without a flying lead if it already has one at the other end. But a banjo with a flying lead will be a great connection if you want it connected both ends - so long as the plastic box is strong enough to nip it up nice and tight.

If its tight then no, that's what the banjo is for? Otherwise, as already said use earthing nuts.
I don't agree. Even if it's tight when installed the plastic can creep and you can lose the connection. If you must gland into a non-conductive box then you should sandwich the banjo between two locknuts inside the enclosure so that you have metal on metal connections. Otherwise you risk losing the earth to the armouring or giving a high impedance connection for the fault current.

Nothing wrong with terminating it without a flying lead if it already has one at the other end. But a banjo with a flying lead will be a great connection if you want it connected both ends - so long as the plastic box is strong enough to nip it up nice and tight.
Again I must point out that no matter how tight plastic is liable to creep. A metal on metal connection should always be used.

Reply to adapt boxes in garden in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net