Discuss Adapt this CU........... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

OK - this is a dual board, about 3 years old ......... 1 RCD per bank.

They are experiencing random tripping, and my trusty earth leakage clamp shows that both banks are running at around 21 mA leakage - so the smallest change plunges half the house into darkness etc.

Anyone know if I could easily source the parts to add 2 more RCD's (yes I realise some circuit consolidation would be required ....

Hager dual CU.jpg

Thanks

And no I didn't install this!

The client did ask what the best solution was - I said replace ALL the MCB's with RCBO's but with 26 circuits this wouldn't be cheap!
I think that will be the only option as there is not any space to fit a two modular RCD to make each board split RCD.

The cheapest place i have found recently for hager rcbos is
discount-electrical.co.uk also known as shop4electrical.
The price can vary widely between suppliers. Hager are good with 2 year warranty too in event of failures. Dodgy batc etc...just never buy direct from hager though. They charge the list price!

Even if you manage to split that lot over an extra couple of RCD's there's no assurance that nuisance tripping of a bank of circuits will not be a regular occurrence. The client will likely assume that whatever you do will be a total cure.
I'd insist on fitting RCBO's regardless of cost.

I had the same issue on a stackable Hager 36 way board. Lots of electronics and control system were leaking due to design.

We added another neutral bar and put rings, cooker and kitchen on rcbo's. Problem went away, I think adding an RCD would be more hassle than it's worth.

How does adding another neutral bar solve the problem ?
The only thing that makes sense is that it lowers the neutral systems impedance.
In which case that indicates a failing or poor neutral system to start with.

Reply to Adapt this CU........... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net