Discuss Adding a circuit to a CU your not happy with in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Oli

-
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been coming across situations where I need to add a MCB into a CU and for example the CU is at the wrong height, new builds, but they are either really high or low, or wrong glands used, multiple circuits in one MCB etc etc. What do I do in this situation?
Sorry I can't do the job unless I spend a grand moving the CU to another location?
Or, explain it's all wrong but add my breaker in anyway and recommend modification?
How important is the height of a CU, I keep coming across them at the wrong height, who is signing these off?
All good to say walk away, but I'm not going to get much work.
Thanks
Oli

Recommend changes to the customer, make a note on your certificate and move on.

At the end of the day you can quote as many regulations as you want, the homeowner will make the decision, often the wrong one...

What do class as "the wrong height"?

If you have climb a stepladder, or squeeze into a cupboard under the stair..... its at the wrong height.

As Strima says, do the work, test it, but note on the certificate your findings.

The C.U height is a Building reg, Doc M.
It's about accessiblity not safety.
It applies to installation of a C.U in a new property.

Once occupied the property is no longer new, the C.U is already installed, therefore no issue exists.;)

I think it all comes down to common sense....The height of the CCU has little to no bearing. If the CCU has IP breaches then they need to be sorted before adding a circuit, also if there’s say a MCB from a different manufacturer stressing the components then this would also need sorting. Things like this would be picked up on initial survey and priced accordingly.

Thanks for speedy replies,
Yes common sense prevails, although no accounting for the experience mixed with common sense.

As I was hoping, mark it on the certificate and get the job done unless it is dangerous in some way.

As for the height thing, I understood it was partM, I just dont understand how new builds are getting signed off when it doesn't meet the regs. But the the whole thing is wishey washey anyway as somewhere (NIC I think) its written, one way to comply is to put it at between x and y, roughly 1.4m.

1 OCPD = 1 circuit, thats what I was taught. As much as thats a pain in the ---.

As for the height thing, I understood it was partM, I just dont understand how new builds are getting signed off when it doesn't meet the regs. But the the whole thing is wishey washey anyway as somewhere (NIC I think) its written, one way to comply is to put it at between x and y, roughly 1.4m.

Have you come across new builds, that don't comply then?

Far be it from me to disagree with Sir Westie either, but it is Informativly written on the Appendix 15 Figure 15A at about 10 o'clock, that "an unfused spur may be connected to the origin of the circuit in the distribution board" ... I case my rest, M'Lud.

I'm feeling bad, I seem to have brought up a conversation that cuts deep for some people. :)

Have you come across new builds, that don't comply then?

Yes, current house has CU at about 2m and its a double decker jobbie so the top on is at about 2.4m, high ceiling house, so may be even higher, and another house I was in recently the CU was in a kitchen cupboard, the bottom ones, at an angle that made it almost impossible to work on, there was cursing!
Both houses build in the last 6 months.

1 OCPD = 1 circuit, thats what I was taught. As much as thats a pain in the ---.

In an 'Ideal World'!

If you are asked to add a socket to an existing (pre 2006) installation, where sockets had previously been installed at say 300mm high would you;
1) Say they do not meet current regs and suggest re-wiring them all to 450mm high.
2) Install new socket at 450mm
or
3) Install the new socket to same height as existing?

I think common sense prevails!
Only test and certify 'your work', make a note/comment on certificate of other issues that are beyond your remit!

Reply to Adding a circuit to a CU your not happy with in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net