Discuss Adding a light switch on a ring main? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tencho1234

A friend of mine is fitting a new kitchen, he has asked if he can fit a socket above the cupboards to supply the LED lights he wants to fit below the wall cupboards. he also wants to be able to control the lights using a std light switch, so he has one switch to control the main room light and one to control there LED's.

I cannot access the lighting circuit due to being an old block of flats and everything is concrete. the only way i can get power is by breaking into the ring main but how can i incorporate the light switch?

Many thanks for any help!

Is a fused spur not an option?

Have a fuse spur off the ring main and connect the lights to that, Or feed the switch from your spur and then back to your lights if he is adimint he wants a switch. Just fuse it accordingly

Last edited by a moderator:
that, fused down to 3A, or use the FCU as a switch.

I've just done a similar thing using led tape from a company called simplyled, there was a socket on top of the kitchen cupboards and i was going to fit an fcu but the led driver came with a plug on so i just used the socket and also fitted an rf switch that they sell, all you need to turn the lights on and dim them is a very small fob a bit like you would use to open your car, very neat and customer was over the moon, they sell really good bulbs too

Thanks guys if i fused it down to 5 amps then run the live through the light switch and connect up both neutrals then run them to the new socket, will this be ok as the current is low enough for the light switch?

Reply to Adding a light switch on a ring main? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all I would like to put some sockets in the attic and keep them on the main house ring main. Am I right in saying I can pull one of the legs...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Having a weird problem in a house that has suddenly happened. One half of the ring main has 240ish volts (fluctuates of course), and...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I've moved into a flat and I've decided to replace the original electric switches and sockets with white ones. I've done them all...
Replies
Views
First, sorry if I'm not in the correxct thread. I'm trying to replace an old switch with a WIFI switch and cannot seem to do it right. There are...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I am looking to add 4 additional sockets for a room that is being converted for a bed ridden person. The room at present has no sockets in...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock