Discuss Adding a Light to a light switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Keeno38

-
DIY
Reaction score
upload_2018-1-14_12-55-16.png

Hi,

I would like a bit of advice if possible please.

I have a light switch on my wall close to where I've added a dart board.
I would like to put a light above my dartboard and was hoping it would be as simple as using the said light switch.
This switch is not used as it used to run two outside lights but the outside lights were removed and blanked so the switch is no longer in use but still live I believe. ( see attached picture )
Could a cable be run off the switch and supplied to the new light position?

The new cable ( if possible ) could be put in trunking and not necessarily chased into the wall.

I s all of the above possible?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on how the switch is cabled, if its just a live and a switch live then no as you need neutral, from the photo I can't see the wiring properly to see how it was all wired.

Depends on how the switch is cabled, if its just a live and a switch live then no as you need neutral, from the photo I can't see the wiring properly to see how it was all wired.

Many thanks for the reply.

I am very uneducated when it comes to electrics as you can probably tell. But from how I see it, there are two neural wires ( black ) just taped together and then a third neutral which just has a plastic terminal on the end. Not sure if that helps you or not?

If one of those blacks is a neutral then yes it can be done but a black at a light switch may not be necessarily a neutral.

If one of those blacks is a neutral then yes it can be done but a black at a light switch may not be necessarily a neutral.

Thank you.

How can I tell if one of them is a Neutral?
I will of course ask an Electrician but just wanted to know if it could be done before I called one in.
Ho

Firstly google cable zones, if your planning on drilling new holes for lights etc you will need to be aware of this.

Your pic is gash, that looks like two neutrals twisted together then a bit of insulation tape?

Firstly google cable zones, if your planning on drilling new holes for lights etc you will need to be aware of this.

Your pic is gash, that looks like two neutrals twisted together then a bit of insulation tape?

I was hoping to have it surface mounted in trunking? the only holes I wanted drilled would be the holes for the new light fitting.

Thanks

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Impossible to say from a distance whether the black is neutral or a live return. Has it always been a single switch.

Impossible to say from a distance whether the black is neutral or a live return. Has it always been a single switch.

As far as i am aware yes. It is a switch that worked two outside lights. We had an extension built so the outside lights werent needed. Nothing has been added or taken away from it since then.

I can only guess that there was a three way switch there or wiring was put in for a three way switch but not utilised. As said before we cannot tell from here if one of those blacks is neutral or a switch return.

I trust you will as depending on what sort of light you are hoping to install the cpc will need to be proved.

Absolutely. As I mentioned I wouldn't dream of attempting this but just wondered if it was possible to do this before calling someone in.

I have no idea what a CPC is i'm afraid.

Absolutely. As I mentioned I wouldn't dream of attempting this but just wondered if it was possible to do this before calling someone in.

I have no idea what a CPC is i'm afraid.
Circuit Protective Conductor (earthwire)

looking at that 2nd photo, without risking giving out incorrect info, all i can say is that it appears to have N at the switch, so the project is viable.

Reply to Adding a Light to a light switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net