Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Adding a relay to Thermostat in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Nevbox

Nevbox New EF Member

Hi forum,

I am trying to fit a relay to my boiler and then to a raspberry pi zero. The pi has a humidity and temperature sensor to moderate the heating. This is basically a DIY 'Nest' project.

The current setup is an age-old thermostat and analog timer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've wired my relay with Common and NO (Normally open).

I attempted to link the relay directly to the thermostat, but my test was unsuccessful.

My attempt looks like this:
    The analogue timer was set to constant and the thermostat to 0C
    [​IMG]

Any suggestions?

2. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

For a start that cable is too big so it is preventing the terminals tightening properly on the original wiring, this loose connection needs rectifying ASAP before it starts a fire.

3. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Some insulation damage and poor termination on the brown there

4. gnuuser

gnuuser retired Industrial wire monkey DIY

before wiring a relay into the circuit you would need to study the schematics carefully and understand everything involved.
    and consider that altering control circuits in a heating system can void any warranty and may violate safety regulations.
    creating control circuits should be done with simulators (lamps and or buzzers) to indicate the state of the output. and verify that the circuit is operational.
    while experimenting is an admirable trait you need to ask yourself this question "Why complicate a simple control system?" and if i do change things how many things may cause it to fail?

5. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Or at the very least wait until the summer when breaking your heating won’t have such an unpleasant effect!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

Also noticed you have not connected the CPC instead choosing to cut it back, not a good idea!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nevbox

Nevbox New EF Member

Thank you for the tips guys. I have installed smaller wires, bought an enclosure for the relay. (with regards to safety). Testing the circuit has been successful.

The original system still works, but I have disabled it by setting the thermostat to zero. In the event of my controller crashing, losing power etc.. the relay remains open and the thermostat can be turned up.

If you're wondering the motivation to install this system, it has been done due to the age of the original thermostat controller (inaccuracy, limited control & high gas bills from heating being left on)