Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Adding a run on timer to an existing fan in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Is there such a thing?
    Job i'm looking at has a bathroom with no window. There is a 230v inline fan in the roofspace, vented from above the shower cubicle to... well... the extraction doesn't go anywhere, but that's another problem.
    Taking the grill down I can see the fan, but its screwed to the beam and I cannot access the connections but can reach the T&E supplying it.
    The fan just comes on with the lights, neutral at the switch just outside the door.
    I've mentioned to the homeowner that the ceiling might have to come down, but he's not keen.

I have seen an add on timer unit for a 12v fan, but not 230

2. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
  3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

That says it needs live, switched live and neutral .... and the op thinks he only has switched live and neutral

If the owner can cope with a small variance change the fan for a 12v unit, and mount the transformer / driver near the switch and run a new cable from the switch to the transformer ...

4. littlespark

Yes. I’ve only got a sw and n. What I need is the fan to be powered from a timer unit which is triggered by a light switch, not from the light switch itself.
    I realise I need a 3 core to operate the timer... but that is straightforward from the switch as there’s a live, sw an neutral there.

Swapping out the fan for a timer version or 12v is impossible without taking down the ceiling.

It may be I could use a humidistat?

5. SparkyChick

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    If you've got permanent live, switched live and neutral at the switch, then that timer would work for you, surely or am I missing something?

6. Murdoch

How about a fan with a built in pir ?

7. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

So much for accessibility:mad:

don’t you love builders (I’m guessing that an electrician would never do this sort of thing…)

8. Murdoch

The way I read it is that he's only got SL and N at the fan and a nice ceiling he doesn't want to cut holes in!

9. Taylortwocities

It’s an in-line fan in the roofspace....
    He could add a ceiling PIR..But if he can reach the T&E he still needs to get a permanent live for the PIR.

Whatever the solution for the fan, it still needs venting. I doubt there’s a workable solution without some ceiling carving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SparkyChick

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Absolutely, but none of the solutions are going to work without a permanent live. But he does say this:-

"I realise I need a 3 core to operate the timer... but that is straightforward from the switch as there’s a live, sw an neutral there."

It's obviously impossible to say without being there, but from how it's been described, it doable.

11. Murdoch

Ceiling down, do the fan properly .............. thats the price to pay for the customer to have a proper fan working and venting outside ....:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Taylortwocities

I agree SC. If the fan T&E is at the switch, then adding the unit you linked to would be the easiest way.

If it comes from the light fitting, it depends on the light wiring. No problem if there’s a perm live there. Need input from the OP.

13. littlespark

I’m trying to convince customer to take down ceiling in bathroom and kitchen for other works.
    See my other post in The Arms

It’s not ideal. The fan is inaccessible for maintenance and vents nowhere.

I haven’t checked that link yet SC to see if it’s suitable, but I will.

Edit: just had a look. That unit will do the job fine. Thanks. And not too expensive.

14. Taylortwocities

If access to the ceiling will be restricted after the works, it may be better to have a surface ceiling fan and not an in-line one. Your customer will have the same problem in a few years time when (and not if) the fan fails.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 'mr2'gd4u

'mr2'gd4u Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    KJS Electrical
    While not just tap into the PL going to the switch and run it to fan?? If its in a loft space you'll have everything visible going to and from switch... Or am I missing something.