Discuss Adding a spur to an existing circuit on a BS3036 CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

electro-lass

Hi there,
I'm a newly trained electrician with limited experience and could really use some expert advice. I've searched through the forum about this but have only managed to confuse myself further. I have been asked to add a double socket to a living room ring circuit. My plan is to spur off an existing socket in the living room running the cable under the floor boards. The CU is a Wylex BS3036 board. To comply with regulations, does the double socket that I install have to be RCD protected?

Yes,all socket outlets for general use need RCD protection, and the cable will do as well unless it is surface mounted or more than 50mm below the surface.

Hi there,
I'm a newly trained electrician with limited experience and could really use some expert advice. I've searched through the forum about this but have only managed to confuse myself further. I have been asked to add a double socket to a living room ring circuit. My plan is to spur off an existing socket in the living room running the cable under the floor boards. The CU is a Wylex BS3036 board. To comply with regulations, does the double socket that I install have to be RCD protected?

best way, IMO, is to comme off the 3036 RFC fuse ( and the N ) to a stand alone RCD in enclosure adjacent to the CU. then the whole of the RFC is RCD protected. make sure you test the circuit for faults first, though.

You could also use rcd fused spur on ring main to supply your socket if space is an issue around cu for separate Inclosure for inline rcd as suggested in previous post.

You could also use rcd fused spur on ring main to supply your socket if space is an issue around cu for separate Inclosure for inline rcd as suggested in previous post.

So in the entire house one socket in a lounge is RCD protected? TBH I dont believe the regulations are intended to create this sort of nonsense. Personally I would go with Tel's suggestion.Otherwise you may as well not bother and just install your socket without RCD protection.

What qualifications do you have just out of pure interest?

BPEC Part P Defined Scope, Full Scope,
C&G 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition 2382-12 BS7671:2008(2011) Requirements for Electrical Installations
C&G 2392 Level 2 Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification
C&G 2377 Level 3 Electrical Equipment Maintenance and Testing
And just in the process of obtaining the C&G 2394 Initial and Fundamental Inspection & Testing

Was trained on modern CU so working with BS3036 fuse board is totally new to me. Do you reckon these qualify me to be doing the job or is there another reason you ask, out of pure interest? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
best way, IMO, is to comme off the 3036 RFC fuse ( and the N ) to a stand alone RCD in enclosure adjacent to the CU. then the whole of the RFC is RCD protected. make sure you test the circuit for faults first, though.

This sounds like a better approach than just adding a RCD protected socket but not sure there is enough room in the under stairs cupboard to add a stand alone RCD. Carried out RFC continuity, IR and Zs. Out of interest, what tests would you recommend carrying out?

So in the entire house one socket in a lounge is RCD protected? TBH I dont believe the regulations are intended to create this sort of nonsense. Personally I would go with Tel's suggestion.Otherwise you may as well not bother and just install your socket without RCD protection.

This is the exact debate that confused me in the first place. To me it doesn't make sense just to add one RCD protected socket to a RFC, but then I'm just a newbie to all this! So, if I were to just install the socket without RCD protection, when filling out a Minor Electrical Works Certificate - would I put this under a departure from BS7671? Want to do the job right to the best of my abilities.

it would not be a departure, more of a non-compliance. strictly speaking, a departure is something that does not comply with BS7671, but is no less safe than if it did. obviously, fitting a socket without RCD protection is not as safe as if it was RCD protected. if i were doing the job, it'd be done as in my previous post. CYA every time.

it would not be a departure, more of a non-compliance. strictly speaking, a departure is something that does not comply with BS7671, but is no less safe than if it did. obviously, fitting a socket without RCD protection is not as safe as if it was RCD protected. if i were doing the job, it'd be done as in my previous post. CYA every time.

So if there was not enough room under the stairs for a stand alone RCD, how would you proceed? Ok, so it's a non-compliance, if I did go ahead with an unprotected socket, where would I note it on the Minor Electrical Works Certificate?

in the comments section.

you need very little space for a stand alone rcd but if you really cant fit it in then either use an rcd fcu or an rcd socket and keep the cable surface mounted . don't just go ahead and stick it in anyway if it doesn't comply

I wouldn't be commenting on a cert that I had knowingly done none-compliant work. There are a number of solutions to the job you want to do, choose one and go for it. If you really can't then don't do the job!!

and don't forget to check earthing and bonding.

Hi there,

Time to be honest Lass.
You say you are an electrician but you list only add on type courses.
You are then a domestic installer? And not a very experienced one at that.
17th edition, pat testing and a watered down inspection and testing course dont make you an electrician and the basic nature of your question shouts lack of experience.
Are you actually working on your own or is there somebody to mentor you?
Why should we on here give you advice so that you can go and under cut us?

Boydy

i don't mind giving advice to the inexperienced.......

this way up.......

Adding a spur to an existing circuit on a BS3036 CU socket - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Adding a spur to an existing circuit on a BS3036 CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock