Discuss Adding aditional lighting to switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dixie

Hi, I'm trying to change the double light switch at the top of my stairs to a 3 way switch (for lighting in attic). I thought it would just be a case of adding another cable to lights and swapping the original wires from old switch to new switch.

On the old socket:

Switch one = Bathroom (light controls fan)
Switch two = Hall

All neutral wires are together in a small joining box

The new faceplate im trying to put on has standard l1 l2 x 3
but also has 3 extra inputs.

Sorry im getting myself really confused now. I have pictures if anybody needs them.

Take a twin and earth to the loft light from switch. There are no extra connections just marked up differently. Commons are still commons. Connect up new switch leaving 3 switch empty. Now you have your new cable to loft light. Connect the brown into L1 and take a loop of cable from the second switch's common into switch 3 common to feed your loft light. The blue to the loft goes into the neutral connector block and obviously connect the earths together that is important. Hope that's helped a little bit.

Help: Adding aditional lighting to switch

Now i have ran into another problem. All switches working but when switch 2 is off, switch 3 doesn't work. Also i was wondering, due to the mass amount of wires and the sheer awkwardness of it. is it possible to have ie 4 brown wires into a connector box and have 1 brown wire coming from the other end.

ie, say l1 has 3 brown wires going into it, could i put they 3 wires into a joining box then have 1 brown wire coming from it so you only need to fiddle with 1 wire instead of 3. and the joining boxes could be hidden in the wall

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like you've taken the feed to switch 3 from the wrong side of switch 2. and don't be so impatient. even us gods need to eat sometimes. LOL.:ciappa:

but is com 2 the permanent L or is the feed to sw2 on L1? that's how it looks in your pic. but can't be sure from a pic.

nothing like a bit of trial and error. red to red, black to black, blue to bits. LOL.

is it possible to have ie 4 brown wires into a connector box and have 1 brown wire coming from the other end.

ie, say l1 has 3 brown wires going into it, could i put they 3 wires into a joining box then have 1 brown wire coming from it so you only need to fiddle with 1 wire instead of 3. and the joining boxes could be hidden in the wall

I think a pullcord in the loft may have been easier. Feed to switch. Live connected to c and l1 to lights. Neutral connected through to light fitting.

thats the switch all connected properly now but is it possible to have ie 3 brown wires into a connector box and have 1 brown wire coming from the other end.

thats the switch all connected properly now but is it possible to have ie 3 brown wires into a connector box and have 1 brown wire coming from the other end.

You'd still have to link the commons together so that's more wire!

I have no space for a bigger backbox, the com wires arnt the problem, the backbox has 6 x twin&earth going into it.

1. Bathroom Light
2. Hall Light
3. Loft Light
4. Loft Ariel Socket
5. Bathroom fan
6. Mains wire

Reply to Adding aditional lighting to switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock