Discuss Adding an extra light fitting and switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

brock flanders

Hi Guys and you advise.

Im adding an additional light fitting and switch to a new downstairs toilet.

Can you tell me if this work needs to be certified and if so where it states that this needs to be certified as im struggling to fine a source for this information.

I have read official goverment guidlines that state for small minor alterations, nothing is required, then on the other hand some say a cirtifate is required.

All im doing is adding a couple of wires.

Cheers

it does not have to be notified to BC, but a MWC should be completed for the alteration to the circuit. for what it will cost, employ a sparks to do the job.

Ned ?????????

Would love to get a spark in it if was free but i cant get my head round paying for somebody to turn up and charge for inspecting two wires coming off a light fitting the two going to a switch.

Sparks charge the earth teletrix. i just cant believe something so simple would need to be checked.
sounds like rip-off Britain again.

so, how will you test the circuit to make sure it's safe? switch on and hope it's OK?

Probably cost less than £100.00 quid to do the complete job and test. Not exactly expensive.

Sparks charge the earth teletrix. i just cant believe something so simple would need to be checked.
sounds like rip-off Britain again.

And what do you do for work Ned? I suppose your a charity worker who wonders the down trodden streets handing out hot dogs and free hand shakes, folding old newspapers into rain hats for those less fortunate. Or are you just one of those guys who thinks Britain owes you a favour and you should be getting something for nothing?

Calling in a professional, to do a safe, legitimate job, on a subject you clearly know very little about, to prevent the posibility of accidental death/fire as a result of ignorant attempts at a profession you know nothing about, hardly strikes me as a rip off, in fact i feel fortunate that we live in a country where there are professional resources available, at lets face it lads, a pittance to what we should be getting paid - that are available to come and do these things for those who know no better.

Count your lucky stars you dont live in the darkest corner of the Congo pal, youd be running your new bog switch of dynamo generator you would be peddling whilst taking a dump.

I would turn the power back on and see if the light comes on.
As a served multiskilled engineer and now as a design engineer working for ESA. with 17 years experence of designing wiring looms PCB's and a vast array of other things, im sure it will be ok.

Sorry to rant but it just seems simple alteration questions always get answered with get a spark in to a a couple of wirs for £120 when it would cost me about £5 to do it myself.

Again appologies for the rant.

As a served multiskilled engineer and now as a design engineer working for ESA. with 17 years experence of designing wiring looms PCB's and a vast array of other things, im sure it will be ok.

Sorry to rant but it just seems simple alteration questions always get answered with get a spark in to a a couple of wirs for £120 when it would cost me about £5 to do it myself.

i do believe this would be breaking the part p regulation.

Hi Guys and you advise.

Im adding an additional light fitting and switch to a new downstairs toilet.

Can you tell me if this work needs to be certified and if so where it states that this needs to be certified as im struggling to fine a source for this information.

I have read official goverment guidlines that state for small minor alterations, nothing is required, then on the other hand some say a cirtifate is required.

All im doing is adding a couple of wires.

Cheers

If you are competant to do the work go ahead....As long as it's not a new circuit or within a bathroom or kitchen no requirement to notiify B/C. Part P does require that all installation work in domestic situations must comply with Bs 7671. This means earthing,bonding and circuit protection for your addition must comply with Bs 7671,and it should be tested in accordance with the requirements of 7671....Your call.....I'm not one of the posters on this forum who think only an electrician is capable of carrying out minor installs in domestics,but only you REALLY know if you are capable of doing it safely.

british gas will charge you £80+VAT per hour labour just to connect that bit of copper pipe to your gas fire. the average self-employed spark charges £20 - £30 per hour. obviously yhou're going to do ther gas work yourself as the saving is much greater.

As a qualified vet I can understand your feelings however many people come on here pretending to be qualified and we do not know if they are,which could land one of us in trouble should you be injured carrying out the work.Lets be honest if the job was so easy you would already know what to do. best wishes Phil.

We're seeing more and more threads like this aren't we, they're all similar - some new member with massive balls freely admitting they're gonna do the job themselves to an electricians forum....there either all wind-up merchants, or incredibly stupid.

Aye minor works for addition to a circuit, but we all know 99& of sparks would do this for £50quid cash in hand no questions asked lol

Reply to Adding an extra light fitting and switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock