Discuss Adding an extra light to an existing 5A ring in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just removed the unfused spur on a 13A ring that supplied an outside light through 2.5 cable and in-line single pole switch!

To replace I want to install a 2 gang switch in the hallway (where the existing hall light switch is now) When I put in a 4 pole junction box and run a switch wire I also want to use the channel in the plaster to return the power to the outside light (the light is only a metre from the switch horizontally. It occurs to me I could use a 3 core+earth and make a connection in the switch thus saving channneling into the block wall to accomodate the 3rd wire (plaster is a bit thin.)
Is this allowable under regs and how would I mark the cables if so please

pdoubleyou

Just removed the unfused spur on a 13A ring that supplied an outside light through 2.5 cable and in-line single pole switch!

To replace I want to install a 2 gang switch in the hallway (where the existing hall light switch is now) When I put in a 4 pole junction box and run a switch wire I also want to use the channel in the plaster to return the power to the outside light (the light is only a metre from the switch horizontally. It occurs to me I could use a 3 core+earth and make a connection in the switch thus saving channneling into the block wall to accomodate the 3rd wire (plaster is a bit thin.)
Is this allowable under regs and how would I mark the cables if so please

pdoubleyou
Depending on whereabouts you live I might be avaliable to help, for a fee of course.

5 minutes between post and someone saying "get an electrician in"... Is that a record?

The details you give about the set up aren't clear.
The outside light is powered from the socket circuit via a switched fuse? That is fine within the regs as long as the fuse is sized appropriately.
You now want to change the hall switch to a 2 gang, the second switch being used for the outside light? That is only possible if there is a live and neutral in the switch box.
4 pole junction box - where is this going?

Take up Petes offer.

5 minutes between post and someone saying "get an electrician in"... Is that a record?

The outside light is powered from the socket circuit via a switched fuse? That is fine within the regs as long as the fuse is sized appropriately.
You now want to change the hall switch to a 2 gang, the second switch being used for the outside light? That is only possible if there is a live and neutral in the switch box.

Take up Petes offer.

No, the outside light was supplied directly from the 13A ring UNfused, controlled with an inline switch. This has now been removed.
The 4 pole JB is to be inserted into the lighting ring in the loft space (its a bungalow) this requires a switch return wire and a power to the ligt fitting (2 seperate twin +E). but as the switch position is directly inbetween the JB and the outside light position I was wondering if I could used 3core +E with a common neutral and a connector inside the switch patresse box. (and still be reg compliant)

If you are cabling from the source of power to the switch and then on to the light you only need twin and earth (run line, neutral and earth to the switch, switch breakes the line conductor, neutral carries on to light fitting, earth the backbox and switch if metal and carry on to light fitting)

Have you checked you dont already have a line and neutral in the switch? If not can replace the existing 2C+E with 3C+E between switch and existing hall light. Your 3 cores would then be line, neurral and a switch wire back to the light fitting, all cores should be sleved brown if line or blue if neutral.

But as others have said, if you are in any doubt best to get an electrician who will test on completion. Is the circuit RCD protected?

Take up Petes offer.
I think it's obvious that although the Poster is well versed in electronics, he knows very little about Domestic Electrics, this is not having a dig, as I'm sure most of us would struggle with the more complicate electronic issues, the advice given, was/is the correct advice, I have seen first hand some of the cock ups made by electronic/telephony enginers, who think because the have sat the latest BS7671 exams, and passed, makes them electricians.

I'm trying to see the point of it though, I understand the reasons behind a RFC, but where is the benefit in a 13A RFC? Unless they've saved money by wiring it in speaker wire......
I think the OP may be calling the RFC a 13A ring due to the 13Amp sockets, seems a logical assumption, but then again?

Thanks to all who replied. Littlespark nailed it in one, I do get tripped up by the terminology, and have worked with electronics. Yep the 13A ring is how it looks from the customer side, Its a ring and the sockets are rated to 13A. RFC ring final circuit? the F makes no sense, whats final about it?
Anyways thank you all for the advice

Lost a job there, Pete?
OP has maybe decided not to do the ceiling now after someone mentioned the dreaded "A" word

Would still like to see the inside of the rose though. - for curiousity

Lost a job there, Pete?
OP has maybe decided not to do the ceiling now after someone mentioned the dreaded "A" word

Would still like to see the inside of the rose though. - for curiousity
Not worried about the job loss littlespark, not at all, but a thanks for the offer would have been nice.

Reply to Adding an extra light to an existing 5A ring in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net