Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Adding new circuits to all insulated consumer units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Sparky5473

Sparky5473 New EF Member

hi guys, Is it still ok to add a new circuit to an all insulated consumer unit in a domestic dwelling. I only ask as my previous employer always changed consumer units for metal when adding a circuit. I know this is probably a stupid question.

Thanks for replies

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Providing there are no issues with it which may affect the installations safety then yes.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

If under a staircase I would recommend AMD3 boards

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

Yes, of course it is. Not a stupid question because I'm sure plenty others 'aren't sure'.....although, I don't know why. Basically, why should a consumer have to go to the expense of shelling out for a new cu as well as a new circuit. The existing cu has, presumably, been installed to the regulation edition applicable, at the time. With necessary testing prior to work...no problem, as far as I'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Well of course your employer would change the CU cuz he is a con man, as Westward has already stated, no big deal if everything else is OK.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    So would I if a new CU WAS REQUIRED. But I wouldn't change the CU just because a new circuit has been added providing it complied with the regulations when it was installed.

• Agree Agree x 7
  7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Pete999 - I said recommend - not insist!

• Like Like x 1
  8. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

Now that depends on the state of the existing board...…..and the capability of the 'person' installing the new circuit.

9. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    I
    OK point taken, but in contex with the OP it looked like you were saying "a new circuit required a new CU, a misunderstanding I think, no offence meant.

• Like Like x 1
  10. loplug

loplug Electrician's Arms

I agree that I would recommend replacement to Amd3 board if under a wooden stair case or in the only escape route unless it is other wise protected to prevent the spread of fire. other wise if it is in good condition and no other issues leave it as is

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Sparky5473

Sparky5473 New EF Member

Thanks guys, it’s a fairly recent MK sentry dual RCD board, all complete and intact, not on only means of escape and not under stairs. I was pretty sure was ok to add a circuit but wanted to make sure

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ian1981

Ian1981 Electrician's Arms

My opinion is that the location of the DB is irrelevant regarding if plastic.
    Guidance apparently is under wooden stairs and the sole means of escape is coded but I don’t see the relevance in regard to the regulation which states what the DB must be(non combustible etc) and the location it’s in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

If the installation is sound, your reasoning isn't. The Amd 3 regarding metal consumer units only came about because of a degradation in the standard of installers.
    Note. I call them installers rather than fully qualified electricians.:(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. loplug

loplug Electrician's Arms

My reasoning is that that is what guidance tells us to do.

15. Phil Thompson

Phil Thompson Let us light up your life! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Brite Spark Electrical
    Defo agree on the installers thing.

Saw a spark trading as his and his business partners initials Electrical Solutions

He was tagged on a post on Facebook of a woman looking someone to check her phone line, he said he can’t do phones and data. And last week he posted on the same mums group looking for someone to do a network.

The 2 boys are 24 and 28 iirc
    I’d a customer back in September who had approached 3 different sparks to do 3 phase work at an industrial estate he had bought and was looking to increase number of units. All said they don’t do 3 phase work.

Sadly it seems to be very common for guys only knowing basic domestic.

• Agree Agree x 3