Discuss Adding new circuits to all insulated consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Which guidance would this be.
Niceic have a pdf on codes my boss sent me from their site.
Also have a copy of napit code breakers book( given out by the company on a tool box talk ) and the best practice guide.
As I say the usual suspects and guidance given.
Depends if you agree on it or not as to what action and recommendations you give.

I will be extremely disappointed if the 18th Ed doesn't clear this farse up ..................

but I'm not holding my breath
You can only do your best but I do wonder if trades like gas installers have as much variety of different options on code of practice and regulation matters ?

The appropriate "words" in our big book to make these situations clear and unambiguous.

There is at least 1 spark near me who, when ever he sees a fuseboard with fuse wire says "that's illegal" - and people believe him.

Clarity wouldn't take much effort
Well he is not competent in that case.

there's absolutely no requirement to replace a perfectly installed insulated CU when altering or adding circuits. it's only when replacing a CU (for whatever reason) that it must be metal.

Defo agree on the installers thing.

The 2 boys are 24 and 28 iirc
I’d a customer back in September who had approached 3 different sparks to do 3 phase work at an industrial estate he had bought and was looking to increase number of units. All said they don’t do 3 phase work.

Sadly it seems to be very common for guys only knowing basic domestic.
It is very sad....but even bigger problems arise when such individuals, over confidently, or sometimes with absolute recklessness, regard themselves as competent to start messing around with 3 phase and industrial work.
It's a true reality of the wheels falling off the trade and it frightens me.

Strangely though, before 1st Jan 16, there were no codes or such concerns for highly flammable fuse boards under stairs or anywhere else.

What a difference a day makes. :)

there's absolutely no requirement to replace a perfectly installed insulated CU when altering or adding circuits. it's only when replacing a CU (for whatever reason) that it must be metal.
Funny how some people find this so mind blowingly difficult.

I was always told that if you were going to be adding something new the only things to check for first were the bonding being in place and an rcd. A plastic board would have conplied with the regs at the time.

Reply to Adding new circuits to all insulated consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net