Discuss Adding new double sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm adding a couple of double sockets to an existing circuit in my home.
I want to keep the integrity of the ring but the only place I can find to break into it easily is in another double socket close by.
If I run 2 x new cables from the existing to my new ones am I doing anything wrong by taking one of the original cables and jointing it through in the back of the socket box to one of the new cables and then simply fitting the other new cable back into where the original came out?
I understand it works electrically ok, more is there anything in the Regs I'm doing wrong by jointing in the back box?
Also I intended to use insulated crimps rather than connector block.
Comments?

Can you not reroute one of the cables to 1 of the new sockets? Then make your ring from there?

Seems fine what you are proposing assuming the existing socket is part of the ring final. Most people these days would use Wago connectors to joint the conductors.

I'm an ex mining electrician, we couldn't really join cables in the back of joint boxes in the environment I worked in.
Is it ok to do it this way or not?

Just make sure they are flameproof enclosures for the sockets and the ring final circuit is intrinsically safe and your fine:)
Mr Freeze ,just crack on with your suggested method

Unless they are indent crimps, don't crimp it (standard insulated crimps are designed for stranded cable and may not provide a reliable joint over a period of time). Get yourself some Ideal in-line splices:-

http://www.screwflix..com/p/ideal-spliceline-in-line-wire-connectors-pack-of-100/72727

Reply to Adding new double sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock