Discuss Adding RCD protection to existing circuits in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

How would you do it spin? Forget the rcd protection requirements for now.
I have a feeling that we are not getting the full story?
If the client came to me and asked me to provide RCD protection for a couple of sockets, I would offer up various solutions.
RCD sockets, new CU, stand alone RCD near the origin of the circuit, perhaps even an FCU RCD.

Here’s a commercial scenario for you to comment on over you nightly dram.

So there is an existing consumer unit with older style MCBs or bs88 fuses. RCBOs cannot be added to existing and customer wont pay for a new consumer unit.

My soloution is to add a garage unit onto the side. Remove main switch and feed singles through to RCBOs. Use multiple supply label, 400v etc

Anyone got any better ideas?

You can purchase seperate enclosures and just add DP RCDs. Depending on the number of circuits change the size of the enclosure.

I thought consumer units was a single phase distribution board and I can't understand why we are discussing a 2-way garage consumer unit taking the main switch out etc. All you require as is a Din rail enclosure for RCD's.

Reply to Adding RCD protection to existing circuits in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

As I've mainly done site work and moved into domestic recently, I'm a bit rusty on stuff like this, but if I'm adding a loft PIV unit to an...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I wondered if anyone could help me with something that has been niggling me please?! When a Solar PV feed in circuit is installed...
Replies
Views
Hello Need to replace a distribution board in the next few weeks to allow for more circuits to be installed in January. Existing is a TT system...
Replies
Views
Evening all, If a socket circuit is not RCD protected via an RCD/RCBO and there isn't the option of fitting an additional RCD enclosure or...
Replies
Views
Best way to add RCD protection to specific circuits in an old Siemens DB which I’m told is now obsolete. Install an additional enclosure adjacent...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock