Discuss Adding second light to existing switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cox

Hi everyone,

In my garage there has always been one only ceiling light which isn't really adequate when working on projects in the garage. Therefore I'm looking to add an additional light (well 2 really but we'll call it 1 to simplify things).

This first diagram shows the existing wiring (hopefully it is clear enough). Any wires without with only a connection on one end are wires coming from the ring main.
Adding second light to existing switch light - EletriciansForums.net
I've thought of 2 methods of adding an additional light, but I'm not sure which will pass certification when I get someone to certify it after. The first method is to simply create a spur off the terminals for the lamp holder as follows:
Adding second light to existing switch light2 - EletriciansForums.net
this seems by far the easiest method, but as I say, I'm not sure about best practices and regulations. The second method would be to add the second light into the ring main and connect a second set of wires from the switch to the new lamp as shown next :
Adding second light to existing switch light3 - EletriciansForums.net
Can anybody tell me which of these is the best method, or suggest another if neither are appropriate?

Many Thanks.

Attachments

• Adding second light to existing switch light2 - EletriciansForums.net
    light2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 31
I should point out that even if you have correctly wired this it would not be legal for someone to come in and "certify" the work.
Electrical work should be inspected, tested and an installation certificate issued, by the installer.

However wiring wise so long as you have a normal light switch that can take the additional load of the extra lights and you want all the lights to be switched by the same switch, then connecting as you have indicated in your second diagram, so long as you also remember to extend the earth wire to the new fittings and correctly connect and sleeve it would be a suitable method. Remember that the cable must be at least 1.0mm² and capable of taking the current.

Why will it need certifying?

Thanks for the advice, I thought it would be fine based on my calculations, but I wanted to be sure.

Why will it need certifying?

I was under the impression that all electrical installations had to be carried out or approved by a qualified electrician?

Thanks for the advice, I thought it would be fine based on my calculations, but I wanted to be sure.

I was under the impression that all electrical installations had to be carried out or approved by a qualified electrician?

I think the point Murdoch is making is not all job's are notifiable. In fact Part p has been watered down so much it is getting hard to justify the cost of being a scheme member.

you should by rights complete a MWC for the job. to do this you need to be "competent". this would also mean owning or borrowing a MFT to complete your test results.

Reply to Adding second light to existing switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock