Discuss adding socket like this in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Depends where you intend to put the crimp joints, not my way of doing it but it seems to be the norm these days,

You appear to have drawn a ring on a ring which is not OK.
You could add a socket as a spur from one of the sockets on the ring.
You could break the ring by removing the cable between two sockets and reconnect it through the new socket.
You also appear to be showing a crimp connecting three cables which is not good either.

View attachment 35425

You appear to have drawn a ring on a ring which is not OK.
You could add a socket as a spur from one of the sockets on the ring.
You could break the ring by removing the cable between two sockets and reconnect it through the new socket.
You also appear to be showing a crimp connecting three cables which is not good either.

View attachment 35425
I think the drawing is just poor, to me it actually only shows 1 leg of a ring being crimped, at first I thought it was as you describe, but I believe it is only 2 legs being crimped together, if it is the case, the drawing would have made more sense with the legs coming together in a ring shape!

It appears he has successfully added a socket using pencil and paper
Whether he is able to "practically" install this extra socket,it will take more on the job suggestions of method by the op to get his pass mark

On your last drawing,you have a ring showing the added socket having one leg connected to an existing socket
The other leg is crimped(in the wall) to what I assume will be a existing cable that was too short to reach the new socket
Question
If you are able to get cable to an existing socket,why do you not make the break in that socket and extend from there with your new cables?
If you do the job the way you suggest,what protection will be given to the buried joint you intend to make. how will you reinstate the insulation that will be removed ?

the socket i wish to move is in a silly place(right between a radiator and the door) im not sure on the protection i should have on the joints

the socket i wish to move is in a silly place(right between a radiator and the door) im not sure on the protection i should have on the joints

Ok ,there is misunderstanding for me in this thread
I was under the impression you were adding a socket to an existing ring

If you making a joint to extend elsewhere, a usual simple solution would be to crimp the cables in the box and use a blank plate (Be aware you need to maintain the feature of the cable being in a safe zone )

If its in a wall with no indication of the routing,you may need a different solution regards the cable protection

1 would leave the socket in place (the socket terminals are rather useful for joining the cables!) and add the extra socket...

Reply to adding socket like this in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net