• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Adding socket on to kitchen ring-no rcd in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Chris

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was asked today to add 2 extra sockets on to an existing kitchen ring, however the board is an old wylex with the push in MCBs so no rcd protection. To add the extra sockets would it require A board change/rcd isolater?

Thanks

You need to add RCD protection where it is required for sockets and possibly buried cables. How you achieve this is up to you and your customer's wishes/budget.
A separate RCD next to the board is a cost saving favourite.
did just that last week, £3 plastic enclosure, used a rcd left from a board upgrade where i installed rcbos. so no cost for the rcd. routed circuit via new enclosure next to board. can still use plastic enclosure for a rcd on its own so no need to spend the cash on a metal enclosure.

did just that last week, £3 plastic enclosure, used a rcd left from a board upgrade where i installed rcbos. so no cost for the rcd. routed circuit via new enclosure next to board. can still use plastic enclosure for a rcd on its own so no need to spend the cash on a metal enclosure.

So to do this, would you insert the RCD enclosure between the circuits mcb and 1 of the ring finals legs?

Adding socket on to kitchen ring-no rcd {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
bang one of them in enclosure .

You dont class an rcd as switchgear then? I dont agree with that you are complying with current regs in that scenario!

Not for one minute putting any dispersion on your installation but doesn't it make a mockery of the regs when the enclosure can be plastic when you are installing the same switchgear?

You dont class an rcd as switchgear then? I dont agree with that you are complying with current regs in that scenario!
NICEIC tell me I can use plastic enclosure, i queried this in light of the 18th ed, response i got from the NICEIC tech support below

Although we would recommend it, generally any enclosure used solely for an RCD would not fall under BS EN 61439-3 and would therefore not require a non-combustible enclosure.
It is permissible to carry-out additions or alterations to an existing plastic enclosure consumer unit where the designer considers it adequate for the altered circumstances, there are no signs of thermal damage, product recalls and complies with the version of the regulations it was designed and installed to. Any planned change of the consumer unit would require a non-combustible enclosure.

We trust this answers your questions.

Hence why i have used a small plastic enclosure and put a RCD in and had no concerns. it was the most cost effective and simple option of adding RCD protection the the circuit i was working on. Otherwise it would have meant a board change. i was also quite limited in terms of space by the board so a small enclosure did the trick.

Not for one minute putting any dispersion on your installation but doesn't it make a mockery of the regs when the enclosure can be plastic when you are installing the same switchgear?
As above ^ The regulations are an enigma at times. It does seem strange that you can circumvent them in this way. Ultimately though the issue is one of attention to detail and workmanship, If you install the cables correctly and ensure they are terminated right then you should not get loose connections or thermal damage that cause issues of worse case a fire. the vast majority of the Cu fires that led to the changes to metal/non combustible were due to poor workman ship and people not checking screws, terminations etc...

Out of interest..
Do the regs at present apply only to CU enclosures? I'm thinking we have a portable machine with a plastic IP rated enclosure, which contains 3x RCD's and a 2-3 MCBs on each of them. This arrangement is because the incoming supply is 3 phase, and the phases split into each RCD then onwards via MCBs rated to the various single phase bits of kit they supply (pumps/motor valves/transformers etc).

If it does apply, when did this change happen roughly? The machine was designed about 5 years ago so not sure if it would be covered or not.

In case anyone was wondering why we went for the plastic enclosure, it's because our kit is often temporarily in damp areas or even outdoors in rain (normally not powered up but needs to be transported by HIAB truck, so not covered to protect from rain/road spray. I'm not sure I would trust a metal enclosure to sit in damp areas for weeks on end and then get sprayed with salty road water on the way back home... Might not last that long.

Reg 421.1.201 applies to domestic properties, thought you supplied electrical devices to that underwater dance thing?

Interesting guidance about the plastic RCD enclosure. The advice I got (Elecsa) a while back, was more unhelpfully vague. See if I can locate it.

He didn't say it wasn't switchgear. That doesn't mean that it's a similar switchgear assembly to a distribution board though, which is what the Regulation actually states. It doesn't provide overcurrent protection so isn't similar.

He didn't say it wasn't switchgear. That doesn't mean that it's a similar switchgear assembly to a distribution board though, which is what the Regulation actually states. It doesn't provide overcurrent protection so isn't similar.

In fairness, me and a lot of others were of the same opinion, and the guidance I received went in a similar vein. To some the reg is clear as the days long, but IMO its not, and they have had the opportunity to make it clearer.

Doesn't make sense, that two pieces of similar equipment or enclosures can be installed side by side, one has to be metal the other doesn't.

Reply to Adding socket on to kitchen ring-no rcd in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back