Discuss Adding spur from kitchen to lounge on wall (not concealed) in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AdamSt

Hi all,

Moved the tv to the other side of the room though we havent got an outlet on that side. There is a little storage room behind it which shares a wall with the kitchen which conveniently has a socket on the same wall on the other side (no water or gas on that side of the kitchen, 2m clearance to water).
Essentially want to create a spur (bottom floor shares the same fuse, RCDed) from there (drill through wall) to the lounge by running the cable along the storage room wall using a plastic conduit and feeding into the lounge (as no one is ever in the storage room dont mind it being visible and concealing the cable would require laying across several studs)

1) as im adding a spur to an existing circuit do i need a to inform bco? (still trainee, not certified yet)
2) is it ok to feed cable through wall into plastic trunking? Thought perhaps better to have a termination point on the other side of the wall where the cable comes out - are there regulations around this?
3) as the cable isnt concealed (fixed onto the wall) can i run the conduit just above the skirting board?
4) cheers in advance - appreciate your time and thought

Kind regards,
Adam

If you are using twin and earth why not just clip it around the store just above the skirting

Adam's kitchen and his lounge are on the same circuit. All OK.

If the kitchen and lounge were on separate circuits, would this solution still be compliant? And even if compliant, would it be bad practice?

Adam's kitchen and his lounge are on the same circuit. All OK.

If the kitchen and lounge were on separate circuits, would this solution still be compliant? And even if compliant, would it be bad practice?
if you had 1 socketin the lounge on a different circuit to the rest in the room ( i.e. as you say, on the kitchen circuit ), a note in or by the CU explaining this would suffice to comply with safety.

I added a socket in my kitchen to allow the missus to plug the vacuum cleaner in without having to trail the flex over the worktops. It is in a stud wall, and I took it from the living room sockets as it was far, far easier (socket already there on other side of wall). Added sticker on CU to remind folk in the future (myself included) and noted it on cert. Job done!

I added a socket in my kitchen to allow the missus to plug the vacuum cleaner in without having to trail the flex over the worktops. It is in a stud wall, and I took it from the living room sockets as it was far, far easier (socket already there on other side of wall). Added sticker on CU to remind folk in the future (myself included) and noted it on cert. Job done!

hmmm. i can better that for laziness. bought her a cordless vac. :eek:

hmmm. i can better that for laziness. bought her a cordless vac. :eek:
Haha well she was whinging about the flex rubbing on the edge of the worktops so for a quiet life I just did as she asked. As per usual. She wants a dangly light fitting hanging down above the dining table now. It never ends, really.

Reply to Adding spur from kitchen to lounge on wall (not concealed) in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net