Discuss Adding to a circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

penmog

Hi

Going to add 2 RCD spurs to a ring circuit(For bathroom). Will upgrade bonding and clear any faults once tested. But noticed boiler is on the circuit on a plug top. Can I still add my stuff or do I have to put the boiler on a FCU(3A) in order to comply with MW. cert.

Why would the boiler being on a plugtop influence the works you're proposing to do in the bathroom? Is the boiler in the bathroom???? Generally there is no problem with a boiler being on a plugtop anyway.

You're more likley to find a new boiler on a plug top than a fcu nowdays....homeowner pays to have boiler relocated (spends all that dosh) then wont have a FCU installed (no they cant stretch that far) so mr.gasman just plugs it into the nearest socket.

Long as the boiler is plugged into a double pole socket, no problems. If not, it still is no problems. Just unplug it if the boiler needs to be repaired or worked on.

yes but would require board change. Tight customer. Previous thread talked about this. Going to test circuits and give them various options.

When wiring from scratch I'd put the boiler on it's own circuit. But there is no need whatsoever to change the way things are already.

(And I have to agree with Murdoch, RCDing the whole circuit at source makes more sense than faffing about with RCD spurs. Would also probably be cheaper, and bring the RCD benefits to the whole circuit.)

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't you add a standalone RCD next to the board? Just a thought.

i tell you what...

lets cut off all the BS1363 plugtops off every appliance shall we....

then we can get a sh1tload of FCUs....start banging em into the wall whereever needed...

should do the trick...rite?

lights need RCD so 3 needed. for bathroom. May as well change board, but its a submain and 16mm feed clipped then runs into wall so 100mA RCD too I think. Starting to add up.

i tell you what...

lets cut off all the BS1363 plugtops off every appliance shall we....

then we can get a sh1tload of FCUs....start banging em into the wall whereever needed...

should do the trick...rite?

and while we're at it, put each on it's own radial from a 48 way CU.

lights need RCD so 3 needed. for bathroom. May as well change board, but its a submain and 16mm feed clipped then runs into wall so 100mA RCD too I think. Starting to add up.

I'm confused by this post, and most of the thread. Did we find out if the boiler is in the bathroom yet ?

Hi penmog

don't get carried away trying to retro fix everything to the latest regs, if theres a sub main to the board.... Well there it is. You don't necessarily have to go making everything perfect. Depends what your remit is of course.

s.

They have an old crabtree board no RCDs. No space and can't add RCBOs. They want a new bathroom. Cables sound and will upgrade bonding. So have to change board or add RCD spurs. The boiler is not in bathroom but wondering if have to improve circuit to add to it. So boiler ok- thanks. Relieved don't have to retro fit 100mA on submain. Thanks S

Reply to Adding to a circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net