Discuss Adding to an existing PV array - Feed in metering in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have customers who want to add to an existing PV array.
I know they cannot receive FIT generation payments,
but what about additional power returned to the grid -
can they be paid for any additional power fed back?

We have customers who want to add to an existing PV array.
I know they cannot receive FIT generation payments,
but what about additional power returned to the grid -
can they be paid for any additional power fed back?

Also, their G59 application would more than likely need to be resubmitted / amended as the system output is changing.

Having a 4kw pv system I found on a good day during sunny hours at least 75 percent of that were going back to the grid then when the sun went down I was paying 12.5 p for everything I used can anyone with the knowledge tell me is it the energy company you pay bills to that gets the benefit or them they buy from I've personally now fitted a battery system

Having a 4kw pv system I found on a good day during sunny hours at least 75 percent of that were going back to the grid then when the sun went down I was paying 12.5 p for everything I used can anyone with the knowledge tell me is it the energy company you pay bills to that gets the benefit or them they buy from I've personally now fitted a battery system
I think what you're asking is 'what happens to electricity exported by unmetered solar PV systems' ....assuming that's the case ....it just disappears into the grid. It doesn't get measured at any stage. Arguably, there will be a drop in the amount of fossil fuels consumed on the generating side, but this is likely unmeasurable becasue the amount of unmetered electricity swilling around in the system will be insignificant in the scheme of things.

Why?
Seems to me, having meters that deduct the exported energy from that supplied would be a neat way of doing things.
It's considered to be a shortfall - 'net metering' isn't a part of the offer. Even if it were to become a part of the offer, there would likley be a requirement to measure consumption and export seperately, for accounting purposes, however, net metering is unlikley to ever be offered, becasue such an arrangement essentially pays the same rate for exported electricity as it does for consumed electricity, which ignores transmission costs.

It's considered to be a shortfall - 'net metering' isn't a part of the offer. Even if it were to become a part of the offer, there would likley be a requirement to measure consumption and export seperately, for accounting purposes, however, net metering is unlikley to ever be offered, becasue such an arrangement essentially pays the same rate for exported electricity as it does for consumed electricity, which ignores transmission costs.
Of course.
I completely forgot about profit margins.

Will only get additional for export if system is over 30kw and a;lrerady has an export meter, and plus purchase agreement. you would need to check what the current agreement is. Also be aware that generation payments will be deemedpro rataif using the same meter. This means you may be better putting in the additional capacity in paralell with the existing system. As already mentioned, you will need to check what was granted under the G59 connection. A new connection comes under G99 which can be alittle more complex.

Unless there is a requirement that can use ther additional capacity on site, there islittle point in expanding the system. Complete evaluation and due diligence needs to be undertaken to assure viability.

Reply to Adding to an existing PV array - Feed in metering in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net