Discuss Adding to existing lighting with no CPC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently installing an additional 4 way CU which is to serve a new extension on the customers house. They have also asked me to alter one of their existing 2 way stairs lighting so that they can have an intermediate switch incorporated (a switch at either end of the upstairs landing aswell as the one at the bottom of the stairs).
Pretty straightforward... pull a 3 for from tbe existing switch to the extra one and the swap the existing to an intermediate.
The problem is that there is no cpc present at the existing switch. It is wired early 1970's style using a single brown with sheath (no earth) as the switch live back to the rose.

In order to do the work they have asked for do i need to completely rewire/wire in a cpc for that lighting circuit?
Or would it be acceptable to take a single earth from one of the new circuits i have installed, to the new switch i am adding to tbe existing circuit?

Its probably a simple answer but would appreciate constructive responses, thanks

Hi everyone,

I am currently installing an additional 4 way CU which is to serve a new extension on the customers house. They have also asked me to alter one of their existing 2 way stairs lighting so that they can have an intermediate switch incorporated (a switch at either end of the upstairs landing aswell as the one at the bottom of the stairs).
Pretty straightforward... pull a 3 for from tbe existing switch to the extra one and the swap the existing to an intermediate.
The problem is that there is no cpc present at the existing switch. It is wired early 1970's style using a single brown with sheath (no earth) as the switch live back to the rose.

In order to do the work they have asked for do i need to completely rewire/wire in a cpc for that lighting circuit?
Or would it be acceptable to take a single earth from one of the new circuits i have installed, to the new switch i am adding to tbe existing circuit?

Its probably a simple answer but would appreciate constructive responses, thanks
Have you explained / told your customer that the circuit they want altered has no cpc? therefore no metallic fittings can be used.
In order to provide a cpc to all the points on this particular circuit, assuming it's not wired in cnduit, you will need to pull in a 4mm2 cpc from the CU in order to provide the circuit in question with a suitable cpc

Why a 4mm? 1.5mm should suffice for a lighting circuit. If they don't want a rewire your only other option is to pull in a cpc or use plastic accessories. I'd advise them to have a rewire due to the age of the installation and to bring them up to standard.

Why a 4mm? 1.5mm should suffice for a lighting circuit. If they don't want a rewire your only other option is to pull in a cpc or use plastic accessories. I'd advise them to have a rewire due to the age of the installation and to bring them up to standard.
I you are pulling a cpc / earth wire without mechanical protection then 4mm is the size specified by 7671 or it was, you need to check you copy of 7671 for confirmation of my statement

@Pete999

I think that refers to bonding cable sizes in regards to TT systems. The conduit would provide the mechanic protection in the op's case.
Does the op mention that the installation is wired in conduit? Regulation 543.1.1 page 164 in the BYB

Is it only the switch cables which do not incorporate cpcs. Single browns in the 1970s?

@Pete999

I must have mistook your comment in your post about conduit as the actual scenario.

I am in the wrong, please don't send @telectrix round to teach me the errors of my ways.

Sorry almighty Jedi

Padwan
That's OK young Jedi I will not inform Lord Vadar, although he has probably read it all by now, may the force be with you, you should take your light saber with you and disappear to the Death Star for a few weeks

@Pete999

I must have mistook your comment in your post about conduit as the actual scenario.

I am in the wrong, please don't send @telectrix round to teach me the errors of my ways.

Sorry almighty Jedi

Padwan
a bit far for me to bring my cane. i have to delegate your punishment to pete999.

Have you explained / told your customer that the circuit they want altered has no cpc? therefore no metallic fittings can be used.
In order to provide a cpc to all the points on this particular circuit, assuming it's not wired in cnduit, you will need to pull in a 4mm2 cpc from the CU in order to provide the circuit in question with a suitable cpc

No i havent told the customer yet, they were out by the time i had left.

Just to clarify:
This is a domestic property, so no conduit.

There is a cpc at the ceiling rose, just no sign at the switches. This may be due to being cut off outside of the backboxes in the wall or that there isnt a cpc in the cables at all.

The additional new switch and all of the existing accessories are non metallic.

I was thinking as long as the new strapper that i pull in is earthed then that should suffice. But from what you guys are saying it sounds like i have to bring the whole circuit up to date with a cpc?
As said above could i take a single earth (either 4mm or 1.5mm insulated and sheathed earth if its available) from one of the new lighting circuits to just earth the new strapper?

What are you going to use for the new strapper a three core and cpc.

You need to have an earth at all the points to comply so 4mm2 as described in the regulation I quoted earlier, not much use just adding a 3 core plus cpc at the mid point of the circuit. Did you read the regulation or are you fling on a shoe string? It's plain enough to understand.

Yes, 3 core and cpc.

Yes is see reg. 543.1.1 now.

In light of your answers it appears as though i would have to either rewire the circuit or upgrade it with a 4mm cpc to all light fittings and switches.

If this is the case i will tell the customer, however i doubt they will want to go ahead with that due to cost

You need to have an earth at all the points to comply so 4mm2 as described in the regulation I quoted earlier, not much use just adding a 3 core plus cpc at the mid point of the circuit. Did you read the regulation or are you fling on a shoe string? It's plain enough to understand.

So to clarify my knowledge. Any alteration or addition to an existing circuit forces the need whole circuit to be brought up to current regulations?

Thanks

So to clarify my knowledge. Any alteration or addition to an existing circuit forces the need whole circuit to be brought up to current regulations?

Thanks
It is a bit grey this one, me I wouldn't touch it but if you decide to use a cable incorporating a cpc it needs to be connected to earth but just the part you put in place the other can be considered existing and is probably safe for continued use.

Reply to Adding to existing lighting with no CPC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock