Discuss Adding to existing lighting with no CPC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It is a bit grey this one, me I wouldn't touch it but if you decide to use a cable incorporating a cpc it needs to be connected to earth.

I agree, the termination of the 4mm would be a nightmare aswell.

This is what is confusing me. If i did add the new strapper in then i did propose to incorporate a cpc in my cable by means of a 4mm earth provided by one of my new circuits.

As pete999 said though, it almost does seem like p#ssing in the wind adding a cpc mid circuit when all of the existing switches dont have it!

This is true like I said it is a grey area as to what to do as it is a unique situation. Do you have a scheme provider to consult. This is only my opinion but I see no problem doing it using pvc/pvc singles with no cpc to all insulated enclosures.

So to clarify my knowledge. Any alteration or addition to an existing circuit forces the need whole circuit to be brought up to current regulations?

Thanks
yes, and RCD protection added if reqiured. e.g.by 522.6.101.

Have I read the post correctly is there a earth at each of the light fittings and the switch drops but the earth has been cut off at switch.

so if it's singles, it's in conduit, so why is there no cpc? where's my bottle?

make sure earth at ceiling rose run 4.0mm earth down to one of the ends of the 3 core run. You only have to make sure the work you have undertaken is compliant not forgoing the other checks eg bonding etc.

To clarify its a mixture of old twin and earth and single browns for S/L back to rose. There isnt anycpc visible at switches but the sheathing has been stripped too far back so i cant see whether the cpc has been simply cut out at all switches or non existent. In the rose there is only two cpc core (loop in and out).

I think ill take the advice of either rewiring the circuit or nothing at all to be honest. I want to do a proper job, not a bodged one

You might consider wireless. It's not nice and is something of a cop-out but it might be useful here. Megaman RF works (I think..do check) without neutral.
There are some slightly irritating switching delays, but means you can replace existing switches with class 2 switches (no CPC), and add another ("glued" to the wall), anywhere. - I have done this in the same circumstances when there was really no rewiring option.
Take care with LED bulbs though and use ones recommended by Megaman. The switches leak a small current (in order to operate) and it's enough to begin to light up some brands when "off".

Last edited:
So to clarify my knowledge. Any alteration or addition to an existing circuit forces the need whole circuit to be brought up to current regulations?

Thanks
Not necessarily, you will of course need to ensure the circuit you are altering complies with 7671. Example , adding a lighting point to an existing circuit, if that circuit complies, then go ahead and add the new lighting and issue a MNWC

Last edited:
Just to give everyone an update if anyone is interested.
I rang the Napit technical team about this problem after taking in to account everyones advice on here.
He told me that it was fine to pull a 4mm earth single from another circuit to the new switch ill be putting in. In order to make sure my 3 core is earthed.
He said that would be adequate i dont have to bring the whole circuit up to current regulations.

Thabks fpr the advice everyone

CPCs weren't allowed to be omitted from lighting circuits after 1966 (I think off top of head), so if the wiring is 70s as I've read in post #1, there should be CPCs somewhere.
There is at the light pendants but not at switch

Reply to Adding to existing lighting with no CPC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock