Discuss Addition to circuit not up to bs7671 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

Where do I stand with this one?

Got sent to a job today to install an extractor fan in a domestic bathroom for a letting agency

When I got to the property I knew it was going to be an awkward one. My plan was to take a three core from the ceiling rose in the bathroom to a fan isolator switch, hoping that the lights were going to be wired loop in live. However first thing I done was have a look at the ceiling - concrete! Gaffer said just use mini trunking along the ceiling which I really wasn't keen on rough as a badgers. Problem two - unscrewed ceiling rose only switched live there plus no cpc at light. Problem three - old rewireable bs3036 fuses at consumer unit no RCD protection and i will need RCD for circuit in bathroom. Gaffer then says I will have to run mini trunking from fuse board to bathroom, opposite ends of house- what a nightmare!!! Looks like I'm going to be doing it this way tomorrow it ain't gonna be pretty

don't you just love gaffers. could you not get one of those new-fangled nuclear reactor powered fans? the cells last for 300 years.

I dont get what your asking .... you are aware of the regs if you require to add a fan to the lighting then it will have to comply with the 17th ..... is it not possible to utilise a old Imm' point or FCU off the socket circuit via a rcd unit... and re-do the bathroom lighting / new fan... you say concrete ceiling ...exactly how are the previous existing wiring been run?

I know its dog rough, However if you gaffer is asking for it done this way then what argument have you got? (Assuming he is on the job with you) I have had this before on a pig off a job and when the gaffer came back we realsised how shabby his idear it was he back tracked and claimed he said nothing of the sort.. The days of having a boss....

Does it need to be a timed fan?...could just come on when light on, save all the extra work for a poxy fan.
oh and I would say it earthed via conduit as well, as that's the way they used to do it in concrete flats.

Definately needs the RCD then, and perhaps a new CPCbeing run.
Using an RCD FCU would not comply, as the requirement is to provide the RCD protection for the circuit, not just for a part of the circuit
This is to prevent fault currents upstream from the RCD due to faults in the wiring or equipment connected to the circuit from by passing the RCD and entering the location.

Have a chat with letting agent and suggest inch batten and underboard on ceiling, try see outside the box when trying to work out a job you can always involve other trades if it makes for a pro' finished job.

Reply to Addition to circuit not up to bs7671 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net