Discuss Additional CU in Garage for Two Circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

We live in a new build (2015) and the developer added Power and Lighting to the garage via a double socket (spur from house) and then a single light coming off the socket (via FS) for the garage. I then added another driveway floodlight off another FS.

Anyway, we plan to do some garden work this year including decking so I am thinking of just adding another CU into the garage which will then allow me to run a new socket circuit for the garage and the garden plus a separate lighting circuit for the garden, I want about 10-12 10w GU 10 bulbs in the garden.

I have a spare circuit breaker on the main CU in the house and I want to keep costs down so am happy to do the donkey work myself and then get a sparky in to connect it all and test etc.

Does this sound logical?

I am thinking 6mm SWA from the CU to the garage, then mount the CU ready for connecting. My only concern is that I don't want to run in the garden cabling just yet as I am not ready so could I just get the sparky to terminate the existing double socket onto circuit 1 (for sockets) and then the garage light for circuit 2 (for lights) and I can then extend these later into the garden adding lights and new sockets??

Thanks

Hi

We live in a new build (2015) and the developer added Power and Lighting to the garage via a double socket (spur from house) and then a single light coming off the socket (via FS) for the garage. I then added another driveway floodlight off another FS.

Anyway, we plan to do some garden work this year including decking so I am thinking of just adding another CU into the garage which will then allow me to run a new socket circuit for the garage and the garden plus a separate lighting circuit for the garden, I want about 10-12 10w GU 10 bulbs in the garden.

I have a spare circuit breaker on the main CU in the house and I want to keep costs down so am happy to do the donkey work myself and then get a sparky in to connect it all and test etc.

Does this sound logical?

I am thinking 6mm SWA from the CU to the garage, then mount the CU ready for connecting. My only concern is that I don't want to run in the garden cabling just yet as I am not ready so could I just get the sparky to terminate the existing double socket onto circuit 1 (for sockets) and then the garage light for circuit 2 (for lights) and I can then extend these later into the garden adding lights and new sockets??

Thanks
What are your intentions for the existing cable feeding the spur from the house?

I would just remove it, they have basically drilled through behind an existing socket into the garage and fitted a double socket directly on the wall.

Its an attached garage, I should have mentioned that :)

The first bit sounds logical, I'm not quite sure what your suggesting for the second bit?

Your new proposal, will require notification to your local building control. A scheme registered electrician would be able to carry out the work, and include certification & the notification. Its a bit pointless discussing size of cables etc, leave this to the electrician carrying out the work.
I suspect the existing cable installed will be swa & suitable for your intentions, but best left to the electrician to decide. You may be able to help with installing a new one, if required, with the supervision of your electrician (I don't like digging trenches myself). The rest is best left to your electrician.

Basically I am not ready to get power to the garden yet as I want to do it at the same time as the decking so if I get the sparky to get the existing garage socket and light onto the new CU, could I then just run power and lights to the garden later in the summer myself.

The garage is attached so it needs a new cable from the CU, I figured SWA as the route would need to go outside the house to get to the garage as I have no desire to cut open walls etc.

Thanks

Fair enough, I suppose it won’t be hard to find a newly qualified spark who is happy for some private work. £100 for a couple of hours of testing and signing off is not a bad little earner.

Hi

Does this sound logical?

Thanks
Why not ask Starjack, he seems to know it all.

Why not just pay an electrician to do it all, you can't just pick a cable size without calculating volt drop etc, the electrician might let you dig and backfill any trenches etc but leave the rest to him.

Fair enough, I suppose it won’t be hard to find a newly qualified spark who is happy for some private work. £100 for a couple of hours of testing and signing off is not a bad little earner.

I’m a newly qualified sparky, but I’m not that desperate for work, to go test & sign off on a diyer’s own electrical work, without seeing it all done with my own eyes.

I’ll be more than happy to test & sign it off for you if I can come over and just sit there and watch you do all the work (under my supervision) for £50 + VAT per hour.

Turns out I have a sparky in the family, agreed I can run all the cables, mount the CU etc and he will just come over to connect the cables up and sign it all off.

Happy with that, at least I know getting future work done around the house is going to be cheap!

Reply to Additional CU in Garage for Two Circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net