Discuss Additional earthing wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sassa

-
Reaction score
Hi! I’ve bought new pendant lamps (see pic 1and 2) and was replacing them when I realised they don’t have an earth wire terminal (but the wiring in the ceiling does) - see pic 3.

The light doesn’t say it’s double insulated (it doesn’t have the symbol) - how can I tell otherwise?

If it is, do I just add a terminal block to the additional earthing wire?

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

12882E7C-A036-4C2C-ABFE-B1DA9909A774.jpeg

E652B916-470F-49F3-AC8F-09E13442147C.jpeg

4390798D-DA7C-4E8E-8D71-CB6B3D75A65B.jpeg

if the actual,light has only a 2 core flex, it does not need earthing. unless it's a cheap grey import.

That’s a nice shade - very pretty! No comment on anything else - I’m off duty!
Edit - that’s a nice butter dish as well.

Is there another part to the fitting? Where does the metal ring hang on to? Have I missed something obvious? Too many questions, sorry.

Is there another part to the fitting? Where does the metal ring hang on to? Have I missed something obvious? Too many questions, sorry.
Not at all! That’s all it came with. I bought a basic steel suspension bracket which I can use to hook the black ring to (which is vertically adjustable).

I'd go with westwards idea - otherwise you will just end up with that bare connector block floating around, which is not safe.

I have seen a nice ivory coloured art-deco cruet set,which would go lovely with that butter dish....but i suppose westy is being more practical...:)

Typical....a finely honed body...beautiful children...even some exquisitely crafted engineering...but it's only me cruet set,you want to see...i despair...:rolleyes:

I wonder how many of these lights have been installed in a less than satisfactory way because the person fitting it didn't have an understanding of earthing/double insulation.
My cruet set is these light bulb ones :)
51U0iveggFL.jpg

They often end up looking like the pepper one in the photo, the small base ensures they fall over all the time...

Reply to Additional earthing wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net